IHS Markit’s Shawn Ryan to participate in the We Guarantee IT panel at Advanced Advertising Summit, October 28 | Ne… https://t.co/Nui0NKhgoi
Why the future of the A-segment car is set to look very different
A-segment city cars could undergo a radical transformation by becoming a key component of OEM and disruptor mobility strategies in the future. For years, conventional OEMs have struggled to make sufficient margins to justify the ongoing business case for affordable city cars despite the obvious appeal of small, low-cost passenger cars that are cheap to run and easy to drive and park.
Conventional A-segment cars as a rule do not make enough money for OEMs, but small city cars are also highly likely to make a central spoke of the future wider mobility offering, most likely in fully electric and autonomous form. So while it is difficult to make money on the vehicle type in the current market paradigm, future mobility technology in city centres means that there are opportunities going forward with the segment. But a future A-segment car may end up looking and feeling significantly different from the current market offerings.
Read more articles like this one. Get a free trial to AutoIntelligence Daily
- US DOT makes more awards of autonomous vehicle research funding
- Canada considering adopting Californian emissions requirements
- Frankfurt Motor Show 2019: Important production EVs, premium concepts and city cars dominate launches
- Frankfurt Motor Show 2019: Climate change campaigners call for SUV ban
- UK government inaugurates testing facility for autonomous vehicles
- On-going talks about 400 public EV charging stations in Kolkata
- Sneak Preview: Frankfurt Motor Show 2019
- Two US senators question cybersecurity vulnerabilities of connected cars
Listen as Chris Hopson discusses global automotive demand results..."things will get worse before they get better". https://t.co/iHkHn3vnwT
Utility vehicle market crowding is on the horizon. IHS Markit expects utility offerings to increase 50% in the nex… https://t.co/MoG1WAppY3