Value stalls on its road to recovery
After staging a comeback in Europe and the US in June, value could not fend off infectious optimism for momentum strategies in July (Table 1), as markets celebrated strong big tech earnings results, several positive early stage COVID-19 vaccine trials and increased expectations for additional government stimulus. Other positive data points include the first expansion in the J.P.Morgan Global Manufacturing PMI since January. However, the employment PMI has not recovered and, coupled with the virus's resurgence in several countries, could create bumps in the road to recovery resulting from slowdowns in consumer spending and business activity.
- US: Industry-adjusted 12-month Relative Price Strength outperformed Book-to-Market by a spread of 14.1 percentage points among large caps, a sharp reversal of the prior month's 5.0 spread of the value signal over momentum
- Developed Europe: Investors demonstrated high conviction towards momentum strategies including Rational Decay Alpha and 3-M Revision in FY2 EPS Forecasts
- Developed Pacific: Momentum remained a highly favored investment style, with strong performance recorded by Industry-adjusted 12-month Relative Price Strength
- Emerging markets: Investors remained out on the risk curve, with 60-Month Beta posting negative spreads for a fourth consecutive month
IHS Markit provides industry-leading data, software and technology platforms and managed services to tackle some of the most difficult challenges in financial markets. We help our customers better understand complicated markets, reduce risk, operate more efficiently and comply with financial regulation.
Follow Financial Services
- July 2022 Model Performance Report
- Securities Finance July Snapshot 2022
- iBoxx SGD Monthly Update: August 2022
- iBoxx USD Asia ex-Japan Monthly Update: August 2022
- Stocks rally as bears take a summer recess
- iBoxx ALBI Monthly Update: August 2022
- Dividend Forecasting Bi-weekly Brief APAC (02 Aug 22)
- Are ransomware events considered in your Operational Resilience Plans for third party service providers?
RELATED INDUSTRIES & TOPICS
Join our webinar on Thursday, 19 May as we explore the impact of sustained inflation on dividend payments in 2022… https://t.co/jUwPoVmJFw
Join our webinar next week in partnership with Supply Management Insider as the industry experts unveil the necessa… https://t.co/iibJIqHM00