Success at the Defence Media Awards for Jane's writers
Jane's writers picked up three trophies at the inaugural Defence Media Awards, held on 7 October at The National Press Club in Washington, DC, on the eve of this year's Association of the US Army show.
Pictured (left to right) Dan Wasserbly, editor Jane's International Defence Review, Peter Felstead, editor Jane's Defence Weekly and Chris Foss.
Peter Felstead, editor of Jane's Defence Weekly (JDW), won the John Morrocco Award for Best In-Depth Defence Reporting with 'Silver Bullet Solution': a JDW feature examining to what extent ballistic missile defences could supplant the UK's nuclear deterrent.
Meanwhile, Jane's land systems editors Mark Cazalet, Sam Cranny-Evans and Chris Foss jointly won the award for Best Land Systems Submission with 'The Czar of Battle': a feature for Jane's International Defence Review looking at the recent battlefield dominance of Russian artillery systems.
Beyond the individual writing categories, Chris Foss also received an Outstanding Achievement Award recognising his almost 50 years of writing on armoured vehicles, artillery systems and other weapons, including long-running editorships of flagship Jane's reference titles such as Jane's Armour and Artillery and Jane's Military Vehicles & Logistics, as well as many significant contributions to Jane's magazines and Show Dailies over the years.
The Defence Media Awards were organised by founder Peter Padfield to directly recognise the best in defence journalism. They arose through an acknowledgement that the successful Aerospace Media Awards, also run by Padfield, only gave limited opportunities for defence journalists to compete.
The Best In-Depth Defence Reporting Award was named in honour of much-respected Boeing comms exec John Morrocco. Previously himself an award-winning journalist, Morrocco played a key role in creating the Defence Media Awards and had, in fact, judged some of the entries before unexpectedly passing away in July.
- South African defence technology remains in focus despite budget bottoming out
- Gulf States’ Defence Spending to Hit Record High
- Software-defined radios point way for simpler direction finding
- Construction at North Korean missile base underlines operational focus
- From Tempest to Gripen E – Jane’s coverage of Farnborough 2018
- President Trump signs the US FY19 National Defense Authorization Act
- Indicators track Iranian threat to Strait of Hormuz shipping
- Social media provides insights into Indonesian militancy