Success at the Defence Media Awards for Jane's writers
Jane's writers picked up three trophies at the inaugural Defence Media Awards, held on 7 October at The National Press Club in Washington, DC, on the eve of this year's Association of the US Army show.
Pictured (left to right) Dan Wasserbly, editor Jane's International Defence Review, Peter Felstead, editor Jane's Defence Weekly and Chris Foss.
Peter Felstead, editor of Jane's Defence Weekly (JDW), won the John Morrocco Award for Best In-Depth Defence Reporting with 'Silver Bullet Solution': a JDW feature examining to what extent ballistic missile defences could supplant the UK's nuclear deterrent.
Meanwhile, Jane's land systems editors Mark Cazalet, Sam Cranny-Evans and Chris Foss jointly won the award for Best Land Systems Submission with 'The Czar of Battle': a feature for Jane's International Defence Review looking at the recent battlefield dominance of Russian artillery systems.
Beyond the individual writing categories, Chris Foss also received an Outstanding Achievement Award recognising his almost 50 years of writing on armoured vehicles, artillery systems and other weapons, including long-running editorships of flagship Jane's reference titles such as Jane's Armour and Artillery and Jane's Military Vehicles & Logistics, as well as many significant contributions to Jane's magazines and Show Dailies over the years.
The Defence Media Awards were organised by founder Peter Padfield to directly recognise the best in defence journalism. They arose through an acknowledgement that the successful Aerospace Media Awards, also run by Padfield, only gave limited opportunities for defence journalists to compete.
The Best In-Depth Defence Reporting Award was named in honour of much-respected Boeing comms exec John Morrocco. Previously himself an award-winning journalist, Morrocco played a key role in creating the Defence Media Awards and had, in fact, judged some of the entries before unexpectedly passing away in July.
- Returning foreign fighters pose risk to Trinidad and Tobago
- US Navy deploys support in search for downed Japanese F-35A pilot
- Extreme right activists build transnational narratives online
- Brazilian defence programmes face lowest acquisition budget in ten years
- The threat from far-right extremism: rising, less predictable and hard to determine
- Highest pay raise in ten years for military personnel, reveals US FY20 defense budget
- First terror attack recorded in New Zealand | Jane’s Terrorism and Insurgency Centre analysis
- The results are in…the winners of the Jane’s ATC Awards have been revealed!