Stocks rally as bears take a summer recess
US stocks led a global equity rally in major developed markets in July, as momentum factors enjoyed their day in the sun (Table 1). However, the bulls will be tested once again as the bears return from leave in the face of central bank rate increases, increased recession risks including a second consecutive quarter of negative GDP in the US and a two-year low in the J.P.Morgan Global Manufacturing PMI™, with business optimism dipping to its lowest level since May 2020.
- US: High risk shares returned to favor while highly shorted shares suffered, as demonstrated by underperformance of 60-Month Beta and Demand Supply Ratio, respectively
- Developed Europe: Deep Value signals including Book-to-Market and TTM Free Cash Flow-to-Enterprise Value posted negative spreads in July
- Developed Pacific: Performance of high momentum shares surged last month in markets outside Japan, resulting in a spike in Industry-adjusted 12-month Relative Price Strength performance
- Emerging markets: A rebound in investors' favor towards momentum benefitted stocks with attractive Rational Decay Alpha scores
IHS Markit provides industry-leading data, software and technology platforms and managed services to tackle some of the most difficult challenges in financial markets. We help our customers better understand complicated markets, reduce risk, operate more efficiently and comply with financial regulation.
This article was published by S&P Global Market Intelligence and not by S&P Global Ratings, which is a separately managed division of S&P Global.
- FRTB Management Solution of the Year: S&P Global Market Intelligence wins in Asia Risk Awards 2022
- Dividend Forecasting Bi-weekly Brief APAC (27 Sep 22)
- Bond-linked equity signals
- Top attractive dividend stocks in Asia Pacific - Aug 2022
- What My Backpack Can Teach Us About Location-Independent Identifiers
- Golden Record Podcast Series - Episode 3: It's a Taxing Business
- S&P Global Market Intelligence and Westminster Research collaborate to deliver integrated research evaluation and custodial commission sharing agreement management solutions
- SFDR: Takeaways from the implementation of ESG regulation
Join our webinar on Thursday, 19 May as we explore the impact of sustained inflation on dividend payments in 2022… https://t.co/jUwPoVmJFw
Join our webinar next week in partnership with Supply Management Insider as the industry experts unveil the necessa… https://t.co/iibJIqHM00