Spain aims to ban gasoline, diesel passenger car by 2040
The Spanish government is said to be planning a proposal that would ban the sale of gasoline (petrol) and diesel passenger cars by 2040. This is said to be in a draft document for a new law on climate change seen by Reuters that is set to be put to the Spanish parliament by Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez by the end of 2019. The document notes, "Some of the most important necessary changes affect transport. From 2040, the registration and sale in Spain of passenger cars and light commercial vehicles that directly emit carbon dioxide will not be permitted."
Significance: The plan, if true, has similar timing to those mooted by the UK and French governments to support emission reductions. However, neither country has been explicit about milestones or how the government will offer its support at the further reaches on how to reach this point so far, and it seems unlikely that the Spanish plan would be any different. Nevertheless, the intention is there for these current administrations. However, it remains to be seen whether Sanchez can get this passed by the parliament. Indeed, his Spanish Socialist Worker Party holds less than one-quarter of the seats, and the report notes that he has struggled to find support for any major proposals, including the 2019 budget, with opposition coming from the People's Party which dominates the upper and lower houses.
Read more articles like this one. Get a free trial to AutoIntelligence Daily
- Palladium demand to remain strong over next few years
- Russian light-vehicle market posts nearly 7 percent decline in May 2019
- Argentine light-vehicle registrations decline nearly 57 percent in May 2019
- Ecuador's Foreign Trade Committee announces approval of zero import tariff on EVs
- US state of Colorado plans to adopt California ZEV mandate ‒ report
- Hungary opens 5G-based test track for autonomous vehicles
- Brazil's light-vehicle registrations increase 20.2% y/y in May
- Greek passenger car market grows during April 2019
An Automotive Minute - Episode 23 Listen in as Stephanie Brinley discusses US sales of electric and full hybrid veh… https://t.co/ERh7yyxXKk
Fuel for Thought - The Customer Journey Listen to Kristen Balasia and Melanie Erff discuss the vehicle buyer journe… https://t.co/kBv41ogjVE