CERAWeek - Video of the Week Listen as a group of panelists discuss transportation fueled by hydrogen.… https://t.co/w0tYT5CI5o
Spain aims to ban gasoline, diesel passenger car by 2040
The Spanish government is said to be planning a proposal that would ban the sale of gasoline (petrol) and diesel passenger cars by 2040. This is said to be in a draft document for a new law on climate change seen by Reuters that is set to be put to the Spanish parliament by Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez by the end of 2019. The document notes, "Some of the most important necessary changes affect transport. From 2040, the registration and sale in Spain of passenger cars and light commercial vehicles that directly emit carbon dioxide will not be permitted."
Significance: The plan, if true, has similar timing to those mooted by the UK and French governments to support emission reductions. However, neither country has been explicit about milestones or how the government will offer its support at the further reaches on how to reach this point so far, and it seems unlikely that the Spanish plan would be any different. Nevertheless, the intention is there for these current administrations. However, it remains to be seen whether Sanchez can get this passed by the parliament. Indeed, his Spanish Socialist Worker Party holds less than one-quarter of the seats, and the report notes that he has struggled to find support for any major proposals, including the 2019 budget, with opposition coming from the People's Party which dominates the upper and lower houses.
Read more articles like this one. Get a free trial to AutoIntelligence Daily
- How will micromobility impact the automotive ecosystem?
- Berlin launches all-in-one mobility app
- European automotive trade associations call for action against no-deal Brexit
- Fewer Choices for Loyal Ethnic Sedan Owners Opens Marketing Opportunities – and Challenges – for OEMs, IHS Markit says
- US DOT makes more awards of autonomous vehicle research funding
- Canada considering adopting Californian emissions requirements
- Frankfurt Motor Show 2019: Important production EVs, premium concepts and city cars dominate launches
- Frankfurt Motor Show 2019: Climate change campaigners call for SUV ban
RT @IHSMarkit: Today we've announced the acquisition of Novation Analytics, a specialist provider of software solutions, data analysis and…
An Automotive Minute - E40: Chris Hopson discusses September light vehicle sales demand in the United States. https://t.co/dWcb8NgE34