Spain aims to ban gasoline, diesel passenger car by 2040
The Spanish government is said to be planning a proposal that would ban the sale of gasoline (petrol) and diesel passenger cars by 2040. This is said to be in a draft document for a new law on climate change seen by Reuters that is set to be put to the Spanish parliament by Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez by the end of 2019. The document notes, "Some of the most important necessary changes affect transport. From 2040, the registration and sale in Spain of passenger cars and light commercial vehicles that directly emit carbon dioxide will not be permitted."
Significance: The plan, if true, has similar timing to those mooted by the UK and French governments to support emission reductions. However, neither country has been explicit about milestones or how the government will offer its support at the further reaches on how to reach this point so far, and it seems unlikely that the Spanish plan would be any different. Nevertheless, the intention is there for these current administrations. However, it remains to be seen whether Sanchez can get this passed by the parliament. Indeed, his Spanish Socialist Worker Party holds less than one-quarter of the seats, and the report notes that he has struggled to find support for any major proposals, including the 2019 budget, with opposition coming from the People's Party which dominates the upper and lower houses.
Read more articles like this one. Get a free trial to AutoIntelligence Daily
- An Automotive Minute with Mark Boyadjis - David vs Goliath
- Automotive Insights - Canadian EV Information and Analysis
- An Automotive Minute with Michael Robinet: Supplier Strategy in the BEV Age
- An Automotive Minute with Stephanie Brinley - Vehicle Electrification
- Pivoting to an Electrified Future – The Automotive Industry Amps Up
- Impact of Semiconductor Shortages on the Global Medium and Heavy Commercial Vehicle Production
- Fuel for Thought: Vehicle loyalty grows in share and importance; Some brands top 60%
- Commitments to carbon-neutral economies accelerate the reshaping of the automotive industry
Light vehicle sales volumes: Month-over-month growth (MoM) for April 2021 is negative for 7 out of 11 regions. Che… https://t.co/kcsLM4gWRI
Zero Emission Vehicles (ZEV) includes BEV/PHEV/FCEV and accounted for 5% of all new light vehicles registered natio… https://t.co/4fVc25fnBJ