New mobility trends are changing the automotive industry as we know it. Download the full infographic.… https://t.co/zlRmaAXqSX
Spain aims to ban gasoline, diesel passenger car by 2040
The Spanish government is said to be planning a proposal that would ban the sale of gasoline (petrol) and diesel passenger cars by 2040. This is said to be in a draft document for a new law on climate change seen by Reuters that is set to be put to the Spanish parliament by Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez by the end of 2019. The document notes, "Some of the most important necessary changes affect transport. From 2040, the registration and sale in Spain of passenger cars and light commercial vehicles that directly emit carbon dioxide will not be permitted."
Significance: The plan, if true, has similar timing to those mooted by the UK and French governments to support emission reductions. However, neither country has been explicit about milestones or how the government will offer its support at the further reaches on how to reach this point so far, and it seems unlikely that the Spanish plan would be any different. Nevertheless, the intention is there for these current administrations. However, it remains to be seen whether Sanchez can get this passed by the parliament. Indeed, his Spanish Socialist Worker Party holds less than one-quarter of the seats, and the report notes that he has struggled to find support for any major proposals, including the 2019 budget, with opposition coming from the People's Party which dominates the upper and lower houses.
Read more articles like this one. Get a free trial to AutoIntelligence Daily
- Norwegian passenger car demand tumbles 18.5% y/y during November
- Irish passenger car demand rises 19.1% y/y in slow November
- China targets NEVs to become 25% of total car sales by 2025
- Vehicle production in Thailand plunges 22.5% y/y in October, exports decline 8.3% y/y
- 5G driverless microbus begins trial operations in China
- London transport authority refuses to renew Uber’s licence
- Dubai extends free EV charging incentive to 2021
- AutoMobility LA Previews Continue
Norwegian passenger car demand tumbles 18.5% y/y during November.The heavy decline in November brings the year to d… https://t.co/6oinkSFckM
CERAWeek Video of the Week Listen as a panel of experts discuss the Quest for Better Batteries… https://t.co/WD6ZwIx3tK