Spain aims to ban gasoline, diesel passenger car by 2040
The Spanish government is said to be planning a proposal that would ban the sale of gasoline (petrol) and diesel passenger cars by 2040. This is said to be in a draft document for a new law on climate change seen by Reuters that is set to be put to the Spanish parliament by Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez by the end of 2019. The document notes, "Some of the most important necessary changes affect transport. From 2040, the registration and sale in Spain of passenger cars and light commercial vehicles that directly emit carbon dioxide will not be permitted."
Significance: The plan, if true, has similar timing to those mooted by the UK and French governments to support emission reductions. However, neither country has been explicit about milestones or how the government will offer its support at the further reaches on how to reach this point so far, and it seems unlikely that the Spanish plan would be any different. Nevertheless, the intention is there for these current administrations. However, it remains to be seen whether Sanchez can get this passed by the parliament. Indeed, his Spanish Socialist Worker Party holds less than one-quarter of the seats, and the report notes that he has struggled to find support for any major proposals, including the 2019 budget, with opposition coming from the People's Party which dominates the upper and lower houses.
Read more articles like this one. Get a free trial to AutoIntelligence Daily
- UK government increases funding for on-street electric car charging
- Unnamed foreign OEM tipped to launch EV production in Russia
- New York City extends cap on new Uber and Lyft vehicles
- Uttar Pradesh state government releases new policy for EV charging infrastructure
- Spanish passenger car market falls again in July
- US city Grand Rapids begins year-long autonomous vehicle trial
- New EU trade commissioner warns of retaliation if vehicles tariffs raised
- Indian government seeks proposals for 1,000 EV charging stations under FAME-II scheme
An Automotive Minute - Episode 32 Listen to Stephanie Brinley as she discusses nameplate overcrowding in 2026. https://t.co/QFImyUHa1h
Fuel for Thought - Making Money with Vehicle Data Listen to Episode 7 of our podcast series as Kristen Balasia and… https://t.co/KFhKvXqLJX