Solar PV Deployment in Europe Enters New Era of Growth
Solar PV deployment in Europe is entering a new era of growth, largely fueled by a bright future for utility-scale systems. In 2019, new installations in the utility-scale segment (systems larger than 5 MW) more than tripled from 2018, to 12 GW. By 2025, IHS Markit forecasts annual installations of these large PV plants in Europe to reach 34 GW. This growth is driven by a combination of EU 2030 targets and the sheer economics of generating renewable power from solar PV.
In terms of technology, these new-built PV projects are following a global trend of using 1500V inverters (or even higher voltage over the coming years) and a growing penetration of string inverters. The use of tracking structures is gaining interest also in less sunny European markets where fixed systems have been the norm. Across Europe, PV system designs incorporate larger modules with increased efficiency, and we see a growing share of bifacial modules in suitable locations. The profitability of individual PV projects will depend highly on technology decisions.
Download our infographic below summarizing the inroads made in solar PV deployment in Europe:
Learn more about the demand for solar PV across the world and the latest technology trends in IHS Markit's Global Clean Energy Technology service.
Follow IHS Markit Energy
- Overseas financing rises with India’s renewable ambition
- Carbon capture and storage: contrasting regulatory approaches in Australia and the US
- Southeast Asia takes initial steps in hydrogen development
- Will Nigeria’s Petroleum Industry Act re-boost the domestic gas infrastructure and market?
- Cairn Oil & Gas Partner Connect Program: a partnership opportunity to explore and monetize more than 5.5 Bboe resource potential
- PFLNG Tiga – Another sticking plaster or a long-term solution?
- Why are natural gas prices going up and can the oil sector offer a relief valve?
- China's overseas coal moratorium: Implications for energy transition and electricity reliability in Asia’s emerging markets
Recent discoveries in the Perth Basin, including the possible 1 Tcf+ Lockyer Deep find, are reinvigorating explorat… https://t.co/uK5nIfppeZ