Social media indicators in the UK
Research Signals - February 2019
In March 2014, we introduced a set of social media indicators for US markets, in partnership with Social Market Analytics, Inc., that classify the text content in daily Twitter posts to construct a family of social media signals. We now expand our coverage to the UK market using a similar factor structure.
- For names at the extreme tails (2 standard deviations) of the factor distribution, we report notable S-Score™ average daily return spreads of 0.097% since August 2015, with robustness out to longer 10- and 20-day holding periods
- When focusing on frequently tweeted names, average 20-day return spreads improve to 0.383% from 0.298% for the stand-alone strategy, while, for long-only strategies, our empirical results again demonstrate positive performance for names at the 2-standard-deviation tail, with average excess returns of 0.049% on an open-to-close basis, extending to 0.389% out to 20 days
- For Relative Standard Deviation of Indicative Tweet Volume, a Research Signals defined measure of the tweet volume volatility of a stock, we find average daily return spreads of 0.224%, which reached 0.342% at the 20-day horizon
IHS Markit provides industry-leading data, software and technology platforms and managed services to tackle some of the most difficult challenges in financial markets. We help our customers better understand complicated markets, reduce risk, operate more efficiently and comply with financial regulation.
- UMBS TBA Trading Begins
- Overstock.com: Lendable shares in short supply
- IHS Markit KYC Services leverages new technology to enhance managed services and public data
- Enterprise Data Management: A year in review
- One Day in Paris: Taking the Temperature of Investment Research Evaluation
- BMR and the Third Country Regime
- February 2019 Model Performance Report
- Hedging the corporate profit cycle
Since the start of forward UMBS TBA trading this month, early market indicators suggest that appetite for Freddie T… https://t.co/98zNJxUNpv