Social media indicators in the UK
Research Signals - February 2019
In March 2014, we introduced a set of social media indicators for US markets, in partnership with Social Market Analytics, Inc., that classify the text content in daily Twitter posts to construct a family of social media signals. We now expand our coverage to the UK market using a similar factor structure.
- For names at the extreme tails (2 standard deviations) of the factor distribution, we report notable S-Score™ average daily return spreads of 0.097% since August 2015, with robustness out to longer 10- and 20-day holding periods
- When focusing on frequently tweeted names, average 20-day return spreads improve to 0.383% from 0.298% for the stand-alone strategy, while, for long-only strategies, our empirical results again demonstrate positive performance for names at the 2-standard-deviation tail, with average excess returns of 0.049% on an open-to-close basis, extending to 0.389% out to 20 days
- For Relative Standard Deviation of Indicative Tweet Volume, a Research Signals defined measure of the tweet volume volatility of a stock, we find average daily return spreads of 0.224%, which reached 0.342% at the 20-day horizon
IHS Markit provides industry-leading data, software and technology platforms and managed services to tackle some of the most difficult challenges in financial markets. We help our customers better understand complicated markets, reduce risk, operate more efficiently and comply with financial regulation.
Follow Financial Services
- Securities Finance Q2 Review
- Excess capital in 2019 stress tests allow banks to hit dividend payout targets
- How to avoid a data management headache post M&A
- IHS Markit Letter to Hong Kong Authorities on UTIs and Unmasking
- Recap of the Inside ETFs Summit: Index Construction and Evolving Best Practices
- Will index rule changes affect how European credit trades vs North America?
- IHS Markit Responds to ECB Market Consultation on EDDI
- NIRI Annual Conference 2019 - Survey Findings
Global lending revenues for Q2 2019 totaled $2.6bn, 10% below the average Q2 revenue of the last three years. Howev… https://t.co/Sedl49ACwG
Alternative data alone is not enough. Investment managers are looking for easily digestible, packaged data. Greenwi… https://t.co/Jr2fSyNiyI