Top 5 seed market drivers
The global market for commercial seeds is estimated to reach $44,944 million for the last completed harvest (2020). The estimate for the market CAGR was 3.8% between 2010-2020. Genetically modified (GM) seeds accounted for 48% market share in the commercial seed market, whereas the area reported under GM and conventional seeds was 19% and 81% of the total crop plantation area, respectively. Between 2010-2020, CAGR for the GM seed market was 5%, and the conventional seed market was 3%.
Looking ahead, seed market drivers such as the growing population and policies around decarbonization, have led to an increasing need for organic agriculture and the adaptation of GM technology to meet these demands. Understanding who the market leaders are and what traits are leading the market is a crucial part of assessing commercial opportunities in order to gain a competitive advantage
- New seed varieties are crucial to combat African hunger
- The future of alternative proteins: Implications for the meat industry and farmland use
- The US is shrinking in importance as a global supplier
- India releases SOP for ag use of drones
- Drivers of agribusiness farm economics
- Plastics and circular economy in EU: A hopeful ban-deavour
- Global supply and demand trade flow of green ammonia
- Should unsustainable food be taxed?
We are honored that our commitment to supporting diverse talent has been recognized at these prestigious awards. #IHSMarkitLife