Podcast: October Lithium Market Outlook
Taking a step back and observing the market at a high level one
could almost see lithium acting like a conventional commodity
chemical. The typical commodity cycle is oversupply leads to price
declines, consolidation, and then rationalization. I say almost as
we have oversupply, price declines, consolidation but not
rationalization, in fact, we expect the opposite to occur. With the
current consolidation we are seeing, high quality assets that are
struggling with finances are being acquired or invested in by more
established better funded market participants.
We believe that this consolidation by established market participants will lead to a more disciplined market where expansions will continue as needed rather than in a race to be first leading to less volatility in pricing as oversupply and shortages become less severe.
Listen to podcast
If you're ahead of the market, you can navigate this complex industry and mitigate your risk. Gain transparency into the lithium market with IHS Markit Global Lithium and Battery Materials Service's 5-year price forecasts and 10-year supply/demand forecasts.
Listen to previous Lithium Podcast:
- Saudi Aramco: the company to watch
- Podcast: December Lithium Market Outlook
- Video: With the right chemical strategy, you are still in the game.
- Styrene: The calm before the storm
- Podcast: November Lithium Market Outlook
- Key Strategic Issues Impacting the Global Ethylene Markets
- Video: Chemical Strategic Vision for 2020 and Beyond
- Beyond soybeans: The ripple effect of US-China trade tariffs on agribusiness