Opportunities and challenges in the Perth Basin
The Perth Basin in southwest Australia offers offshore and onshore opportunities, with a range of farm-in prospects available. Established offshore infrastructure could make further development of subsequent offshore finds easier. The basin's close proximity to the city of Perth also creates an easy domestic offtake option when compared to the only other onshore producing basin in Western Australia, the remote Canning Basin to the north. However, a recent government-imposed fracking ban in the southern Perth Basin, and a moratorium throughout the northern extent, has the potential to depress the already very low exploration levels as well as test government-operator relationships. Will non-geological factors stifle development of the Perth Basin or will someone harness the power of the next possible frontier?
The Perth Basin - What do we know and what's to learn?
Follow IHS Markit Energy
- Navigating the investor landscape for North America unconventionals
- IHS Markit Forecasts $2 Gas in 2020
- 2021 offshore rig market: Out of intensive care but in rehab
- The potential of electric fracking
- From hope to frustration
- Low renewable auction prices in India – Aggressive bids or unrealistic expectations?
- Global battery storage: Poised for rapid growth as renewables drive need for flexibility?
- Announced wind turbine orders globally reaches record high in first half 2019
RELATED INDUSTRIES & TOPICS
From multi-well modelling to machine learning, our experts are ready to share the latest insights with you at… https://t.co/6F5mwVz7mh