Opportunities and challenges in the Perth Basin
The Perth Basin in southwest Australia offers offshore and onshore opportunities, with a range of farm-in prospects available. Established offshore infrastructure could make further development of subsequent offshore finds easier. The basin's close proximity to the city of Perth also creates an easy domestic offtake option when compared to the only other onshore producing basin in Western Australia, the remote Canning Basin to the north. However, a recent government-imposed fracking ban in the southern Perth Basin, and a moratorium throughout the northern extent, has the potential to depress the already very low exploration levels as well as test government-operator relationships. Will non-geological factors stifle development of the Perth Basin or will someone harness the power of the next possible frontier?
The Perth Basin - What do we know and what's to learn?
Follow IHS Markit Energy
- The Returning spectre – beyond IMO2020
- Is Pennsylvania on the path to join the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative?
- Infographic: Argentina oil- The fate of Vaca Muerta
- FERC Winter 2019/20 Assessment Finds Strong Gas Supplies
- North Dakota Seeks Solutions to Excess Gas Flaring, Including Possible Petchem Investment
- Ireland’s Offshore Basins: Can Past Disappointments Lead to Future Success?
- PV installation forecast in China lowered in 2019 but global forecast of 129 GW in 2019 remains unchanged
- India's lucrative energy industry