New construction opportunities for the REIT model
Research Signals - February 2019
The Research Signals REIT Model II combines various fundamental indicators, property-level metrics, demographic trends and investor sentiment to differentiate leaders and laggards in the real estate sector. We review recent enhancements in the construction of the model, with the underlying methodology remaining a rigorous bottom-up approach designed to systematically evaluate publicly traded US REITs.
- Model developments include incorporation of a new data source and reassessment of all factors, supporting deeper scrutiny of the industry given the recent separation of REITs from financials as its own sector classification
- The REIT Model II buy-rated portfolio outperformed the sell-rated portfolio by 0.81% per month, or 9.77% annualized, over our recently expanded REIT universe and we further demonstrate its successful use as a weighting scheme in long-only active and passive portfolio construction
- All sub-composites recorded positive average monthly return spreads with the most notable results associated with Price Momentum (1.14%) followed by Value (0.49%), which incorporates a key enhancement to the capitalization rate
IHS Markit provides industry-leading data, software and technology platforms and managed services to tackle some of the most difficult challenges in financial markets. We help our customers better understand complicated markets, reduce risk, operate more efficiently and comply with financial regulation.
- Change is coming to the MBS Market
- CLO BBB Bid/Ask Spreads Return to Amber
- January 2019 Model Performance Report
- Final FRTB text: Is the light finally green for modellability?
- January melt-up
- The ETF Rule Proposal: Key Takeaways
- Securities Finance 2018 Year in Review
- How banks can keep pace with XVA
After a couple of solid deal slates, things slow down thanks to the Presidents Day holiday on Monday.… https://t.co/dAbioHgAHZ