Momentum shares avoid some pain despite stocks’ struggles
Research Signals - August 2022
Central banks remained center stage, as Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell, in his speech at a central bank symposium in Jackson Hole, warned of 'some pain' to households and businesses in their fight against inflation. While stocks reacted negatively, and as global economic activity contracted for the first time since June 2020, according to the J.P.Morgan Global Composite PMI™, momentum shares extended gains into August (Table 1).
- US: Earnings Momentum measures gained traction last month, as confirmed by factors such as 3-M Revision in FY2 EPS Forecasts and 2-Year Ahead EPS Growth
- Developed Europe: Price Momentum was a highly favored theme again in August, as captured by Industry-adjusted 12-month Relative Price Strength
- Developed Pacific: High momentum and high risk shares outperformed across the region, as gauged respectively by Rational Decay Alpha and 60-Month Beta
- Emerging markets: Average Monthly Trading Volume-to-Market Cap and 3-M Revision in FY2 EPS Forecasts were positively rewarded last month
IHS Markit provides industry-leading data, software and technology platforms and managed services to tackle some of the most difficult challenges in financial markets. We help our customers better understand complicated markets, reduce risk, operate more efficiently and comply with financial regulation.
This article was published by S&P Global Market Intelligence and not by S&P Global Ratings, which is a separately managed division of S&P Global.
- FRTB Management Solution of the Year: S&P Global Market Intelligence wins in Asia Risk Awards 2022
- Dividend Forecasting Bi-weekly Brief APAC (27 Sep 22)
- Bond-linked equity signals
- Top attractive dividend stocks in Asia Pacific - Aug 2022
- What My Backpack Can Teach Us About Location-Independent Identifiers
- Golden Record Podcast Series - Episode 3: It's a Taxing Business
- S&P Global Market Intelligence and Westminster Research collaborate to deliver integrated research evaluation and custodial commission sharing agreement management solutions
- SFDR: Takeaways from the implementation of ESG regulation
Join our webinar on Thursday, 19 May as we explore the impact of sustained inflation on dividend payments in 2022… https://t.co/jUwPoVmJFw
Join our webinar next week in partnership with Supply Management Insider as the industry experts unveil the necessa… https://t.co/iibJIqHM00