Momentum in Asia fights off a second wave of value in Europe and the US
Research Signals - June 2020
Several regional equity benchmarks posted their best quarter in years on optimism that their economies are recovering from coronavirus shutdowns as restrictions are eased, while weighing the risk of a second wave in COVID-19 cases. The J.P.Morgan Global Manufacturing PMI provided one such positive economic data point, signaling that the global manufacturing sector downturn eased sharply in June after starting on the recovery path in May. However, while increased risk taking was evident from factor performance across many regional universes, varying degrees of investor positioning were found, with momentum factors outperforming in developed Asia markets, whereas value prevailed in Europe and the US (Table 1).
- US: Increased risk taking was evidenced by underperformance to measures such as 60-Month Beta and 24-Month Value at Risk
- Developed Europe: Book-to-Market rebounded with an 11-percentage point increase in month-on-month spread performance
- Developed Pacific: Industry-adjusted 12-month Relative Price Strength returned to its winning ways in Japan after a one-month respite
- Emerging markets: 24-Month Value at Risk captured a robust aversion to low risk names, while undervalued names were favored based on Book-to-Market performance
IHS Markit provides industry-leading data, software and technology platforms and managed services to tackle some of the most difficult challenges in financial markets. We help our customers better understand complicated markets, reduce risk, operate more efficiently and comply with financial regulation.
Follow Financial Services
- July 2022 Model Performance Report
- Securities Finance July Snapshot 2022
- iBoxx SGD Monthly Update: August 2022
- iBoxx USD Asia ex-Japan Monthly Update: August 2022
- Stocks rally as bears take a summer recess
- iBoxx ALBI Monthly Update: August 2022
- Dividend Forecasting Bi-weekly Brief APAC (02 Aug 22)
- Are ransomware events considered in your Operational Resilience Plans for third party service providers?
RELATED INDUSTRIES & TOPICS
Join our webinar on Thursday, 19 May as we explore the impact of sustained inflation on dividend payments in 2022… https://t.co/jUwPoVmJFw
Join our webinar next week in partnership with Supply Management Insider as the industry experts unveil the necessa… https://t.co/iibJIqHM00