Momentum factors shut down value strategies
Research Signals - September 2020
Many regional stock markets struggled in September, trimming their advance over the quarter, with concerns that the rising number of coronavirus cases may result in further restrictions to contain its spread. However, investors sought high momentum stocks, while avoiding undervalued names across most of our coverage universes (Table 1). Business sentiment also hit its highest level since May 2018, according to the J.P.Morgan Global Manufacturing PMI survey, with the headline figure rising to a 25-month high.
- US: Price Momentum measures returned to their leading role, replacing Deep Value which traversed to the bottom of the factor performance spectrum, as confirmed directionally by Industry-adjusted 12-month Relative Price Strength and Book-to-Market, respectively
- Developed Europe: Investors' style preferences mirrored that of US large caps, as captured by outperformance to measures such as Rational Decay Alpha and underperformance to Book-to-Market
- Developed Pacific: Demand Supply Ratio, a Short Sentiment indicator measuring the amount of stock borrowed relative to its lendable inventory, was a highly rewarded indicator in markets outside Japan
- Emerging markets: Investors showed a preference for high momentum stocks (e.g., Rational Decay Alpha), while avoiding high risk names (e.g., 60-Month Beta)
IHS Markit provides industry-leading data, software and technology platforms and managed services to tackle some of the most difficult challenges in financial markets. We help our customers better understand complicated markets, reduce risk, operate more efficiently and comply with financial regulation.
Follow Financial Services
- Top 3 Insights from the 2022 CeFPro Vendor & Third Party Risk Europe Conference
- The obstacles to better analytics adoption in private equity
- A New Report -- Retail Investors: A Changing Landscape
- APIs beat AI in the industry’s post-trade priority list
- Golden Record Corporate Actions Podcast Series - Pilot Episode: Is Data the Problem?
- Top 5 Insights from the 2022 CeFPro Vendor & Third Party Risk USA Conference
- Top 3 takeaways from the ISDA 36th AGM 2022 in Madrid
- Navigating inefficiency in credit portfolio management
RELATED INDUSTRIES & TOPICS
Join our webinar on Thursday, 19 May as we explore the impact of sustained inflation on dividend payments in 2022… https://t.co/jUwPoVmJFw
Join our webinar next week in partnership with Supply Management Insider as the industry experts unveil the necessa… https://t.co/iibJIqHM00