Peruvian president's move to constitutionally shut down Congress likely to trigger political standoff, delaying inv… https://t.co/CYLKEjccre
Market Briefing: Argentina, Brazil and Mexico under political pressure
In a 30-minute briefing IHS Markit experts from our Economics, Country Risk and Banking Risk teams consider political, economic and capital market indicators and developments for the three largest economies in Latin America. In all three, political factors represent the key driver for potential economic and capital market performance. Key areas of discussion by country include:
- In Argentina, financial markets have been particularly sensitive to the prospect of a return to office for Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner, under whose administration Argentina experienced sovereign default, and with fears that she would fail to follow IMF policy recommendations. However, we assess that there are several diverse scenarios for the upcoming presidential elections in 2019, albeit with a challenging economic background.
- In Brazil, there is growing uncertainty over President Bolsonaro´s ability to progress key legislation, particularly pension reform and planned privatizations needed to control the country´s excessively large budget deficits, in a complex and fractured political landscape.
- In Mexico, President Lopez Obrador has so far avoided radical policy change, but market optimism faces a growing challenge from increased uncertainty over policy direction, and the potential introduction of greater economic nationalism.
IHS Markit Speakers
- Brian Lawson, Senior Economic and Financial Consultant
- Rafael Amiel, Economics Director
- Carlos Caicedo, Research and Analysis Associate Director
- Peru shuts down Congress
- Capital Markets Weekly: Enel highlights divergent approaches to issue environmentally-friendly debt
- Chile's mining review
- Kenya's budget cut
- Weekly Pricing Pulse: Commodity prices sink further on global demand concerns
- Trade policy uncertainty and capital spending
- Weekly Pricing Pulse: Energy prices retreat as supply fears recede
- Belarusian external finances highlight vulnerability and dependency on Russia
Insights from our economists of whats happening this week https://t.co/MnIZxXfJGU
Italian power firm Enel will stop issuing Green Bonds, in favor of sustainable debt, while Sweden and Italy are pre… https://t.co/1MJfd4wZY8