https://t.co/DySUCycMgi With no secured majority, Peru is headed for a runoff election
Market Briefing: Argentina, Brazil and Mexico under political pressure
In a 30-minute briefing IHS Markit experts from our Economics, Country Risk and Banking Risk teams consider political, economic and capital market indicators and developments for the three largest economies in Latin America. In all three, political factors represent the key driver for potential economic and capital market performance. Key areas of discussion by country include:
- In Argentina, financial markets have been particularly sensitive to the prospect of a return to office for Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner, under whose administration Argentina experienced sovereign default, and with fears that she would fail to follow IMF policy recommendations. However, we assess that there are several diverse scenarios for the upcoming presidential elections in 2019, albeit with a challenging economic background.
- In Brazil, there is growing uncertainty over President Bolsonaro´s ability to progress key legislation, particularly pension reform and planned privatizations needed to control the country´s excessively large budget deficits, in a complex and fractured political landscape.
- In Mexico, President Lopez Obrador has so far avoided radical policy change, but market optimism faces a growing challenge from increased uncertainty over policy direction, and the potential introduction of greater economic nationalism.
IHS Markit Speakers
- Brian Lawson, Senior Economic and Financial Consultant
- Rafael Amiel, Economics Director
- Carlos Caicedo, Research and Analysis Associate Director
- Capital Markets Weekly: Ecuador’s bonds surge after unexpected election outcome
- Will consumers spend a chunk of the accumulated excess saving, sparking an inflationary boom?
- Peru's presidential election
- CEMAC after COVID-19
- Mixed 2020 results signal uncertain 2021 for North African banks
- Weekly Pricing Pulse: Commodity prices rise once more
- France and a global minimum corporate tax
- Inflation scenario analysis under global recovery
Year-end data for Morocco, Egypt, and Algeria show mixed results on the back of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020.… https://t.co/H4oPRh51FJ
CEMAC’s economic, banking and security environments are expected to remain challenging in 2021, as the region conti… https://t.co/m4BLMBEqdb