LyondellBasell, Neste ink long-term renewable feedstock deal
LyondellBasell and Neste inked a deal for the Finnish refiner and marketer to supply renewable feedstock to the global chemicals giant's steam cracker in Wesseling, Germany, they said.
The feedstock will be converted by LyondellBasell into polymers and sold under its renewables-based CirculenRenew brand. The long-term agreement will see Neste supply its Neste RE feedstock, produced from bio-based sources such as waste and residue oils and fats, to LyondellBasell, the companies said.
The commercial agreement will make polymers and chemicals made from renewable feedstock more widely available to global brands, they say.
The agreement will bring customers "one step closer to the creation of more sustainable end products," Richard Roudeix, LyondellBasell senior vice president/olefins and polyolefins for EAME and India, said 17 June.
The two companies "share the sense of urgency to make active contributions towards combating climate change and accelerating the shift to a circular bio-economy," added Mercedes Alonso, Neste executive vice president/renewable polymers and chemicals.
By ensuring continuity with significant industrial-scale volumes of renewable polymers produced with renewable feedstock from bio-based sources, the companies say they want "to enable sustainability-focused brands to develop more sustainable products and offerings."
LyondellBasell and Neste collaborated in 2019 on the commercial-scale production of bio-based polypropylene and polyethylene with verified renewable content.
LyondellBasell launched its Circulen family of products in April.
--Original reporting by Mark Thomas, Chemical Week.
- Plug Power spreads its wings with green hydrogen powered flight
- The Netherlands to refit natural gas network for pure hydrogen
- EC Fit for 55 offers benefits to hydrogen economy
- ScotWind offshore wind tender meets lofty expectations with 74 applications
- Japan raises renewables target for 2030 to 36-38% of power mix
- Trade experts positive on EU’s CBAM, despite risk of rich nation-poor nation rift
- Shell affirms appeal of Hague court ruling on Scope 3 emissions target
- A US geothermal renaissance?
Understanding PMI suppliers' delivery times: A widely used indicator of supply delays, capacity constraints and pri… https://t.co/jHqnTK5klb
Congratulations to our 2021 Americas summer interns, who are halfway through our virtual summer internship! To our… https://t.co/LAxxaxibEP