RT @IHSMarkitChem: Join us for a combined event featuring expert insight - from upstream business reviews to downstream technical applicati…
Invictus Energy: First to test the Cabora Bassa Basin with the Mzarabani 1 high impact well
Over the next few years Africa will play host to several High Impact Wells, all of which if positive have the potential to shift the E&P landscape.
Figure 1: Africa's High Impact Wells
These wells will test prospects in deeper water than have ever before been tested (Total's Ondjaba - 1), test basins that have never been drilled before (Invictus Energy's Mzarabani - 1) or be the first exploratory well ever drilled in a country (Galp's Jaca-1). Others are relatively low risk, but if positive may be transformational for a country (AziNam's Gazania-1) and others may extend prolific super plays (Dana Gas' Thuraya-1).
The Mzarabani 1 well from Invictus Energy will target structurally trapped gas in a 200-sq-km closure of the Mzarabani anticline which runs along the southern margin of the basin. The well's primary target will be in the Upper Triassic Angwa Formation with potential multi Tcf of gas in place. This relatively low-cost exploration well is strategically positioned to supply into Southern African market.
Just before starting an infill 2D seismic campaign to position the well, Invictus Energy's Founder and Managing Director, Scott Macmillan talks IHS Markit's Cyril Ruchonnet, Associate Director for African Regional Research, through this potential play and basin opener.
GEPs subscribers are able to access part 2 of the exclusive interview to hear more from Scott and Cyril discussing:
- The Cabora Bassa Basin ( Rufunsa Basin) exploration to date
- Potential gas monetization in the case of success
- Positive investor sentiment for frontier exploration since the
Posted 30 April 2021
Follow IHS Markit Energy
- Lost in translation: Inconsistencies continue to limit the usefulness of oil and gas GHG estimation and reporting
- Volatilities in South Korea's future wholesale power prices: Driving renewable profitability in the coming years
- Gulf hydrocarbon producers stare down the energy transition
- The Permian Wave
- China’s new action plan to deepen price reform: A policy continuity with new tasks
- Infographic – Wind recycling: Market overview
- India’s preparedness for large-scale EV adoption: An assessment of future challenges and opportunities
- Modest Canadian 2021 gas production outlook suggests stable prices, even without workaround for pipeline bottlenecks
How are your well abandonment campaigns stacking up against your competition? Are you implementing the most effecti… https://t.co/ZjV8SyCJKq