How is your asset management firm responding to the new Global Best Practice in research evaluation and payments? O… https://t.co/zNSEhiWm3f
IHS Markit empowers business users with greater visibility of data via SaaS-based Data Dictionary
We have launched a standalone Data Dictionary to empower business users with greater visibility of their data. The Data Dictionary, which is being delivered as a software-as-a-service (SaaS) solution, complements our Enterprise Data Management (EDM) platform, which is used by organizations of different types and sizes in the financial services, energy and maritime industries.
Despite broad recognition today that data is a strategic asset, many business users are not taking full advantage of their organizations' data estates because they do not have a complete picture of what data is available to them and the data governance framework that is in place.
The Data Dictionary addresses this situation by providing a web-based interface that allows users to see what data is available within their organization. The portal includes important data governance metadata, including how the data is defined, where it has come from, who owns it and who has altered it.
The Data Dictionary uses metadata that already exists in the EDM platform, ensuring a quick deployment for existing clients. A business glossary mapping feature will support the onboarding of data sources from systems outside EDM, creating a view of the entire data estate across the organization. Out-of-the-box, customizable fields and definitions will also be made available to expedite time to market.
The SaaS-based deployment model of the Data Dictionary will deliver significant benefits including:
- Reduced total cost of ownership (TCO): There is no need to invest in hardware and software; and cloud and other costs are mutualized as part of the multi-tenancy model.
- Streamlined upgrade process: New features will be pushed out on a single code base to all clients, eliminating the need for each client to undertake upgrades individually.
- Increased business empowerment: The low-code / no-code approach will enable business users to define their own data dictionaries.
- Scalability: Built on the Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud, the Data Dictionary allows users to scale up and down as business demands change.
Research conducted by FIMA Insights in May 2021 found the above are among the most compelling reasons for moving to a SaaS-based solution, with faster access to new features selected as the top benefit by the financial services firms surveyed ( read the full research here).
"There is increasing understanding of the value of data as a source of business and operational alpha in the different industries in which we operate," said Jamie Penniman, Global Head of EDM, IHS Markit. "However, many organizations have been unable to realize the full value of this asset because they do not have a clear understanding of their data estate. With the launch of our Data Dictionary, we are providing a business-focused solution to this challenge. By delivering the Data Dictionary as a SaaS solution, we are maximizing the ease of use and other benefits for our clients in the financial services, energy and maritime sectors."
Learn more about the Data Dictionary here.
IHS Markit provides industry-leading data, software and technology platforms and managed services to tackle some of the most difficult challenges in financial markets. We help our customers better understand complicated markets, reduce risk, operate more efficiently and comply with financial regulation.
Follow Financial Services
- Securities Finance Q2 2021
- Exchange Traded Funds: Q2 2021 Market Overview
- Daily Global Market Summary - 21 July 2021
- SFTR Inspires Firms to Consolidate Processes for Regulatory Reporting Regimes: IHS Markit and Pirum Survey
- Daily Global Market Summary - 20 July 2021
- Daily Global Market Summary - 19 July 2021
- IPO Lock-Up Agreements
- Daily Global Market Summary - 16 July 2021
What happens when onboarding technology is integrated with vast datasets? The onboarding challenge is solved and T+… https://t.co/4mjvv6K5Vi