IHS Markit empowers business users with greater visibility of data via SaaS-based Data Dictionary
We have launched a standalone Data Dictionary to empower business users with greater visibility of their data. The Data Dictionary, which is being delivered as a software-as-a-service (SaaS) solution, complements our Enterprise Data Management (EDM) platform, which is used by organizations of different types and sizes in the financial services, energy and maritime industries.
Despite broad recognition today that data is a strategic asset, many business users are not taking full advantage of their organizations' data estates because they do not have a complete picture of what data is available to them and the data governance framework that is in place.
The Data Dictionary addresses this situation by providing a web-based interface that allows users to see what data is available within their organization. The portal includes important data governance metadata, including how the data is defined, where it has come from, who owns it and who has altered it.
The Data Dictionary uses metadata that already exists in the EDM platform, ensuring a quick deployment for existing clients. A business glossary mapping feature will support the onboarding of data sources from systems outside EDM, creating a view of the entire data estate across the organization. Out-of-the-box, customizable fields and definitions will also be made available to expedite time to market.
The SaaS-based deployment model of the Data Dictionary will deliver significant benefits including:
- Reduced total cost of ownership (TCO): There is no need to invest in hardware and software; and cloud and other costs are mutualized as part of the multi-tenancy model.
- Streamlined upgrade process: New features will be pushed out on a single code base to all clients, eliminating the need for each client to undertake upgrades individually.
- Increased business empowerment: The low-code / no-code approach will enable business users to define their own data dictionaries.
- Scalability: Built on the Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud, the Data Dictionary allows users to scale up and down as business demands change.
Research conducted by FIMA Insights in May 2021 found the above are among the most compelling reasons for moving to a SaaS-based solution, with faster access to new features selected as the top benefit by the financial services firms surveyed ( read the full research here).
"There is increasing understanding of the value of data as a source of business and operational alpha in the different industries in which we operate," said Jamie Penniman, Global Head of EDM, IHS Markit. "However, many organizations have been unable to realize the full value of this asset because they do not have a clear understanding of their data estate. With the launch of our Data Dictionary, we are providing a business-focused solution to this challenge. By delivering the Data Dictionary as a SaaS solution, we are maximizing the ease of use and other benefits for our clients in the financial services, energy and maritime sectors."
Learn more about the Data Dictionary here.
IHS Markit provides industry-leading data, software and technology platforms and managed services to tackle some of the most difficult challenges in financial markets. We help our customers better understand complicated markets, reduce risk, operate more efficiently and comply with financial regulation.
Follow Financial Services
- FRTB Management Solution of the Year: S&P Global Market Intelligence wins in Asia Risk Awards 2022
- Dividend Forecasting Bi-weekly Brief APAC (27 Sep 22)
- Bond-linked equity signals
- Top attractive dividend stocks in Asia Pacific - Aug 2022
- What My Backpack Can Teach Us About Location-Independent Identifiers
- Golden Record Podcast Series - Episode 3: It's a Taxing Business
- S&P Global Market Intelligence and Westminster Research collaborate to deliver integrated research evaluation and custodial commission sharing agreement management solutions
- SFDR: Takeaways from the implementation of ESG regulation
Join our webinar on Thursday, 19 May as we explore the impact of sustained inflation on dividend payments in 2022… https://t.co/jUwPoVmJFw
Join our webinar next week in partnership with Supply Management Insider as the industry experts unveil the necessa… https://t.co/iibJIqHM00