Register now for our latest loyalty review webinar with Tom Libby on Tuesday, 9/28 at 1pm ET. Highlights: latest… https://t.co/07RHVNrVjj
Hybrid: Bridge to Electrification – August 2021
Hybrid volume doubles in 2021
As the industry moves towards electrification, there are nearly as many strategies to meet CAFE standards as there are automotive brands. One strategy that is being employed rather successfully is using hybrid technology as a bridge to full electrification. Previously, hybrid volume CYTD was at its highest in 2014, with 190,291 units. It had been falling ever since, down to 149,796 units in 2019. CYTD 2021 hybrid volume is nearly double 2014 volume, with 371,896 units, and is at 6% share of the industry (Fig. 1), the highest it has ever been in the last 10 years. It is also more than double the share of EV.
Hybrid to grow to 31% by 2033
IHS Markit forecasts indicate that both EV and Hybrid will continue to grow over the next 12+ years. By 2031, alternative fuel powertrains will have overtaken gas, with hybrid contributing more than half of the alternative fuel landscape. And by 2033, EV will be 26% of the industry, while hybrid holds 31% share of the industry. (Fig. 1).
Read our full Automotive Advisory Insights from IHS Markit. Our August 2021 report on the US Market focuses on hybrid technology as a bridge to full electrification. Additional coverage includes IHS Markit's forecast for hybrid, top hybrid brands, buyers and more.
- Major revision for global light vehicle forecast, production impacted well into 2022
- Medium Heavy Commercial Vehicles: The other face of the pandemic in Brazil
- Fuel for Thought: A Rocky Recovery in the Second Year of the Pandemic
- Substantial Internal Cannibalization for Incremental Models
- IAA Mobility 2021: Germany’s new auto show to focus on electric autonomous vehicles and mobility
- How will 5G impact the driving experience for the consumer?
- Brand Loyalty Among US Auto Consumers Drops to Six-Year Low
- Fuel for Thought: Car Buying Convenience Factor
IHS Markit is excited to attend MOVE this year. As the leading thought leader in automotive mobility, we are keen t… https://t.co/imEluizURo