Hybrid: Bridge to Electrification – August 2021
Hybrid volume doubles in 2021
As the industry moves towards electrification, there are nearly as many strategies to meet CAFE standards as there are automotive brands. One strategy that is being employed rather successfully is using hybrid technology as a bridge to full electrification. Previously, hybrid volume CYTD was at its highest in 2014, with 190,291 units. It had been falling ever since, down to 149,796 units in 2019. CYTD 2021 hybrid volume is nearly double 2014 volume, with 371,896 units, and is at 6% share of the industry (Fig. 1), the highest it has ever been in the last 10 years. It is also more than double the share of EV.
Hybrid to grow to 31% by 2033
IHS Markit forecasts indicate that both EV and Hybrid will continue to grow over the next 12+ years. By 2031, alternative fuel powertrains will have overtaken gas, with hybrid contributing more than half of the alternative fuel landscape. And by 2033, EV will be 26% of the industry, while hybrid holds 31% share of the industry. (Fig. 1).
Read our full Automotive Advisory Insights from IHS Markit. Our August 2021 report on the US Market focuses on hybrid technology as a bridge to full electrification. Additional coverage includes IHS Markit's forecast for hybrid, top hybrid brands, buyers and more.
- Fuel for Thought: Auto demand levels remain depressed on chip famine alongside race between vaccine & variants; 2022 Light Vehicle demand set to post 82.4 million (+3.7%)
- Electrical steel – Another temporary supply chain shortage or a threat to OEMs’ electrification plans?
- Asians: Thriving Auto Buyers – December 2021
- Mainland China Truck Market Continues to Deteriorate
- Fuel for Thought: Can Electrification Deliver for Commercial Vehicles?
- US Infrastructure Bill's EV Charger Funding
- Impact of inventory shortages on US new vehicle industry market dynamics
- Magnesium shortage in context: A real threat or just a price spike?
Year-over-year, almost all regions saw negative sales volume. The one exception was the Indian Subcontinent which h… https://t.co/luvClOnLV0