Hybrid: Bridge to Electrification – August 2021
Hybrid volume doubles in 2021
As the industry moves towards electrification, there are nearly as many strategies to meet CAFE standards as there are automotive brands. One strategy that is being employed rather successfully is using hybrid technology as a bridge to full electrification. Previously, hybrid volume CYTD was at its highest in 2014, with 190,291 units. It had been falling ever since, down to 149,796 units in 2019. CYTD 2021 hybrid volume is nearly double 2014 volume, with 371,896 units, and is at 6% share of the industry (Fig. 1), the highest it has ever been in the last 10 years. It is also more than double the share of EV.
Hybrid to grow to 31% by 2033
IHS Markit forecasts indicate that both EV and Hybrid will continue to grow over the next 12+ years. By 2031, alternative fuel powertrains will have overtaken gas, with hybrid contributing more than half of the alternative fuel landscape. And by 2033, EV will be 26% of the industry, while hybrid holds 31% share of the industry. (Fig. 1).
Read our full Automotive Advisory Insights from IHS Markit. Our August 2021 report on the US Market focuses on hybrid technology as a bridge to full electrification. Additional coverage includes IHS Markit's forecast for hybrid, top hybrid brands, buyers and more.
- Worsening run rate, but 2022 global light vehicle production outlook intact
- IHS Markit monthly payment data explain EV challenges and hybrid popularity
- Major revision for global light vehicle production forecast – what it means for OEMs’ technology deployment
- After seemingly defying the challenges facing truck manufacturers globally, Brazil’s plants hit with downtime starting from September 2021
- Luxury SUV growth out-paces mainstream
- Chips still squeezing: YTD 7.4mn units and -10% growth impact
- CPO: Why CPO Matters – September 2021
- Increasing impact of semiconductor shortage on Medium and Heavy Commercial Vehicle OEMs in Europe
The IHS Markit light vehicle production forecast has been cut by 6.2% or 5.02 million units in 2021, and by 9.3% or… https://t.co/iPvXm0XU6h
New Autology Podcast: Does branded audio necessarily mean premium audio? In this episode, IHS Markit experts discus… https://t.co/5CUzysurEQ