Hedging the corporate profit cycle
Research Signals - February 2019
The global manufacturing sector eased to a 32-month low, according to the February J.P.Morgan Global Manufacturing PMI, with major economies including the US, the euro area and Japan all slowing. However, partially offsetting the global slowdown was China, whose Shanghai Composite moved from being the worst performer last year to the best at the start of this year. In turn, while high beta stocks initially led the market rebound off December's low, high quality took over as a much more prominent theme in February (Table 1), perhaps as investors postured for a maturing business cycle and as major markets showed signs of having already priced in optimism toward the end of February.
- US: High quality names were juxtaposed with high momentum stocks to lead large caps higher in February, as captured by factors including Net Operating Asset Turnover Ratio and Rational Decay Alpha, respectively
- Developed Europe: Strong corporate fundamentals were rewarded, with factors such as Fixed Assets Turnover Ratio and Reinvestment Rate among the top performers
- Developed Pacific: High momentum (e.g., Rational Decay Alpha) and high quality (e.g., Fixed Assets Turnover Ratio) stocks outperformed, while the Book-to-Market factor struggled in Japan
- Emerging markets: Small cap stocks gauged by Natural Logarithm of Market Capitalization led markets higher, along with undervalued names measured by Forward 12-M EPS-to-Enterprise Value
IHS Markit provides industry-leading data, software and technology platforms and managed services to tackle some of the most difficult challenges in financial markets. We help our customers better understand complicated markets, reduce risk, operate more efficiently and comply with financial regulation.
Follow Financial Services
- Securities Finance Q2 Review
- Excess capital in 2019 stress tests allow banks to hit dividend payout targets
- How to avoid a data management headache post M&A
- IHS Markit Letter to Hong Kong Authorities on UTIs and Unmasking
- Recap of the Inside ETFs Summit: Index Construction and Evolving Best Practices
- Will index rule changes affect how European credit trades vs North America?
- IHS Markit Responds to ECB Market Consultation on EDDI
- NIRI Annual Conference 2019 - Survey Findings
Global lending revenues for Q2 2019 totaled $2.6bn, 10% below the average Q2 revenue of the last three years. Howev… https://t.co/Sedl49ACwG
Alternative data alone is not enough. Investment managers are looking for easily digestible, packaged data. Greenwi… https://t.co/Jr2fSyNiyI