Heading for the exit: Defence and the UK's departure from the European Union
Two years on from the UK's monumental decision to leave the EU, the security and economic environment of the continent has shifted. Within this new context, Jane's analysts have explored the Europe-wide defence market implications of the UK's decision to leave the EU.
The regression to a union of 27 members has acted as a catalyst for defence-sector co-operation within the EU with central funding exceeding EUR1 billion per annum and mechanisms for collaboration through the activation of Permanent Structured Co-operation having been triggered since the announcement of the UK's departure.
Obstacles to UK co-operation with the EU beyond 2019 are unlikely to be as great as initially feared, although a picture is emerging of a future as a third-country with limited privileges. The question hangs, meanwhile, over whether methods by the EU to invigorate the bloc's defence sectors offer sufficient scope or ambition.
For those invested in or exposed to this industry, it is critical to understand where defence is headed, and where the opportunities and pitfalls lie, in order to make secure and successful investment decisions.
Jane's delivers reliable independent market forecasts, global defence budget and spend trends, competitor intelligence, customer requirement analysis and technology assessments. Learn more.
- The Islamic State expands attacks in southern Somalia
- Islamic State’s Foreign Fighters Bring Terrorism Expertise Back to Europe
- Heathrow wins the latest battle but the war continues
- New Iranian space signals facility targets satellites
- Use of Airstrikes in Syrian Conflict Rose by 150 Percent after Russian Intervention
- Lone Actor Jihadists Pose Main Terror Threat to 2018 World Cup in Russia
- Will North Korea denuclearise?
- The S-300P and S-400: Russia’s strategic defenders
Population growth, less arable land, and sustainability driving demand for controlled-release fertilizers. China a… https://t.co/UyZcz0nUEZ
Our Second Quarter and Year-to-Date 2018 Financial Performance saw broad-based organic revenue growth across… https://t.co/KyAhvE2AvL