GP-LP relationships and accelerated shifts to digital
LPs and regulators have been trending in the direction for more insight into the holdings and exposures of private equity funds. When the crisis took its toll, the private markets were impacted at the front-end, and the volume and depth of reporting- both ad-hoc and ongoing- increased even further.
During the SuperReturn North America Virtual Conference, nearly 200 panelists including GPs and LPs alike spoke about the importance of data-driven decision making, communication between stakeholders, and transparency across portfolios. One of the resounding themes across panels was that the GPs who had robust processes and tools in place to provide insight into the status of their funds and portfolio companies came out favorably during this time. Those with robust systems were able to appease their LPs in a timely manner by responding to requests with "Crisis Dashboards," in-depth reports on their portfolio companies, and fund performance.
Some key takeaways from a few panels on LP-GP relationships during the SRNA conference:
- Communication and transparency between LPs & GPs during the pandemic noticeably increased with web conference tools being heavily utilized
- The frequency and volume of information flowing from portfolio companies to GPs and from GPs to LPs has heightened during the pandemic
- GPs who were able to provide in-depth information and accurate, timely data on portfolio companies came out more favorable
- Both qualitative and quantitative ESG data points are being tracked more rigorously and will continue to be relevant both in on-going reporting and fundraising
- LPs would like increased transparency and direct communication with GPs to become the norm and continue post-COVID
- Technology will play a major part in providing transparency across the spectrum and will help strengthen LP-GP relationships going forward
Robust data collection, monitoring, and reporting procedures are not only necessary in times of stress and uncertainty but are also becoming a best practice across the private markets. On panels discussing LP-GP relationships during the conference, LPs expressed their desire for continued transparency and direct communication post-COVID. A key part of any alternative investment management firm is having the right technology and processes in place to deliver better results for themselves, their portfolio companies, and their investors.
To learn more from our private market experts, please reach out.
IHS Markit provides industry-leading data, software and technology platforms and managed services to tackle some of the most difficult challenges in financial markets. We help our customers better understand complicated markets, reduce risk, operate more efficiently and comply with financial regulation.
Follow Financial Services
- iBoxx Yield Select Quarterly Update
- Daily Global Market Summary - 20 April 2021
- SPACs 2.0 Market Update
- Custodians are fast-tracking onboarding technology
- Daily Global Market Summary - 19 April 2021
- Securities Finance March 2021
- Daily Global Market Summary - 16 April 2021
- 2021 global automotive dividend outlook
Join us on 11 May for a co-hosted webinar with Operadora Valmex where we will discuss the evolving challenges and r… https://t.co/diVMhph5rt
Custodians are fast-tracking onboarding technology with Onboarding Accelerator. Read our latest article by our own… https://t.co/5xxrMhTdvf