Manufacturing PMI data for the US pointed to stronger growth momentum in September. Our PMI data has been a good pr… https://t.co/MMRAJemZR1
Global economy suffers loss of momentum in March
Global economic growth slowed sharply to the weakest for over a year in March. The JPMorgan Global PMI™, compiled by IHS Markit, fell for the first time in six months, down sharply from 54.8 in February to a 16-month low of 53.3. The 1.5 index point drop was the steepest seen for two years. To put the decline in context, while the February PMI reading was consistent with global GDP rising at an annual rate of 3.0% (at market exchange rates), the March reading is indicative of 2.5% growth.
Inflows of new business and backlogs of work also rose to weaker extents than seen in the previous month. Employment growth remained more resilient, easing only marginally from the decade-high rates seen in prior months to suggest that firms continued to focus on expanding capacity to meet rising demand. Future expectations also remained elevated, suggesting that at least some of the slowdown may prove temporary. Bad weather was cited in many countries as curbing business activity in March.
Global PMI* output & economic growth
Global PMI indicators*
- PMI data largely skewed to the downside for "vulnerable" emerging markets
- Week Ahead APAC Economic Preview: Week of 15 October 2018
- Trade downturn pushes global growth to two-year low
- Global growth and optimism slide to two-year lows, but prices rise at record rate
- PMI data signal weakest EU automotive sector growth for almost four years
- China PMI data points to resilient growth, but also highlight risks to future expansion
- Week Ahead APAC Economic Preview: Week of 8 October 2018
- Building a synthetic longer history to the IHS Markit US Manufacturing PMI
Difficult demand and operating conditions for EU automotive sector, amid structural and regulatory challenges. Expo… https://t.co/0n03ZeisT2
RT @RBS: Wales outperformed all other UK regions for business activity growth, according to the latest NatWest Regional PMI® report. Read t…