The global auto industry continues to navigate a challenging supply chain environment as well as lingering COVID-19… https://t.co/Z5fAb0yo7i
Global Auto Demand Tracker from IHS Markit
With 31% of countries having reported results for April 2020, we are tracking for a 42 million SAAR (Seasonally Adjusted Annual Rate) for vehicle demand for the month, a drop of 22% from March.
- The Italian and Spanish passenger car markets collapsed in April, falling 97% and 96% year on year (y/y) respectively and accelerating the losses in March. The extension of the national lockdown measures to prevent the spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) virus that restricted movement and closed non-essential businesses throughout the month drove the collapse. Italy and Spain have been two of the worst affected countries in the region in terms of mortalities, hence the stringency of their respective governments. Italy is now down over 50% y/y for the year to date (YTD), and Spain over 48% y/y.
- The UK suffered a 97% y/y drop in April, again as government restrictions closed all but essential businesses and restricted movement. This was on top of the 44% y/y drop in volumes for the traditionally big-selling month of March.
- Although the pace of decline does not seem to be letting up yet, there are some indications of a tenuous recovery. While actual data for China is not yet in, the country is expected to continue to recover from its low point in February. Early signs of a nascent recovery were reported by Austria, where a seasonally adjusted uptick of 17.6% was logged.
- US early actuals point to a slowing of the decline with demand dropping 14% month on month after the massive 38% fall in March.
About the Global Auto Demand Tracker
The Global Auto Demand Tracker is updated daily with sales and/or registrations by country by make for the most recent calendar month. Where an actual is not yet publicly available, the IHS Markit Sales Operations prediction for the month is provided.
The Global Auto Demand Tracker allows automakers and their national sales arms to see which markets are sliding into crisis, which are emerging, and at what pace is the recovery. It also shows which makes are being impacted the hardest in terms of volume and market share.
To support our clients, IHS Markit is making the Global Auto Demand Tracker available to all clients with access to Connect, our client portal, for the months of May and June. Not a subscriber to Connect, contact a sales representative for a free trial.
- May 2022 production forecast sees variations from region to region
- The Shift to Utility: Part I – May 2022
- A Tale of Three Industries: A review of registration and migration patterns in the US new vehicle industry
- Fuel For Thought - Pace of Change: Energy and mobility, climate and innovation
- Global Auto Production Forecast Downgraded Further for 2022
- How autonomous trucks will transform landscape of logistics industry
- China sets green hydrogen production target in national development plan
- Expansionary Policies Provide a Tailwind to Mainland Chinese Truck Market, but Challenges Remain
What is Polk Automotive Solutions doing to help transform automotive retailing? Find out on Monday, May 23rd at th… https://t.co/sk9pvjeYZM
Using data in automotive marketing is critical and complex. See how Polk Automotive Solutions simplifies the proce… https://t.co/bD7eRhUCkD