Global Auto Demand Tracker from IHS Markit
With 31% of countries having reported results for April 2020, we are tracking for a 42 million SAAR (Seasonally Adjusted Annual Rate) for vehicle demand for the month, a drop of 22% from March.
- The Italian and Spanish passenger car markets collapsed in April, falling 97% and 96% year on year (y/y) respectively and accelerating the losses in March. The extension of the national lockdown measures to prevent the spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) virus that restricted movement and closed non-essential businesses throughout the month drove the collapse. Italy and Spain have been two of the worst affected countries in the region in terms of mortalities, hence the stringency of their respective governments. Italy is now down over 50% y/y for the year to date (YTD), and Spain over 48% y/y.
- The UK suffered a 97% y/y drop in April, again as government restrictions closed all but essential businesses and restricted movement. This was on top of the 44% y/y drop in volumes for the traditionally big-selling month of March.
- Although the pace of decline does not seem to be letting up yet, there are some indications of a tenuous recovery. While actual data for China is not yet in, the country is expected to continue to recover from its low point in February. Early signs of a nascent recovery were reported by Austria, where a seasonally adjusted uptick of 17.6% was logged.
- US early actuals point to a slowing of the decline with demand dropping 14% month on month after the massive 38% fall in March.
About the Global Auto Demand Tracker
The Global Auto Demand Tracker is updated daily with sales and/or registrations by country by make for the most recent calendar month. Where an actual is not yet publicly available, the IHS Markit Sales Operations prediction for the month is provided.
The Global Auto Demand Tracker allows automakers and their national sales arms to see which markets are sliding into crisis, which are emerging, and at what pace is the recovery. It also shows which makes are being impacted the hardest in terms of volume and market share.
To support our clients, IHS Markit is making the Global Auto Demand Tracker available to all clients with access to Connect, our client portal, for the months of May and June. Not a subscriber to Connect, contact a sales representative for a free trial.
- Fuel for Thought: Vehicle loyalty grows in share and importance; Some brands top 60%
- Commitments to carbon-neutral economies accelerate the reshaping of the automotive industry
- An Automotive Minute - Tech Giants and the Auto Industry
- Confluence of Supply Chain Challenges Across the Global Auto Industry
- Software - an automotive disruptor
- Plant closures in Brazil likely to cause only short-term impact on South American production
- Key suppliers monitor inventories of propylene derivatives as raw material production resumes
- EV loyalty climbs to 55%