Five things to watch for in Latin America’s gas and power sectors in 2021
The year 2020 was a troublesome one for Latin America, from an economic and social perspective and from the perspective of its energy markets. Latin America's GDP declined over 7% in 2020, and energy consumption declined: gas demand fell about 10% in Brazil and power demand fell near 3% in Mexico, as two examples. In this video, the IHS Markit Latin America team discusses some fundamental questions about what may lie ahead for the year 2021—a year that will hopefully prove brighter for the region.
The questions we address are:
- Will Latin American economies and energy demand rebound?
- Will the pandemic affect the move towards integration of gas markets in the Southern Cone?
- Will renewable energy deployments slow down or pick up speed?
- Will new initiatives in electric vehicles, battery storage and hydrogen pick up steam?
- Will Latin America be a favorite destination for new investments?
View our full video below.
Etienne Gabel, a senior director at IHS Markit with the Latin America gas, power, and renewables team, specializes in the analysis of regulatory and market developments in the natural gas and power sectors.
Marcela Rosas, associate director for the Latin America gas, power, and renewables team at IHS is an expert in fundamental analysis and outlooks including scenario development.
Emanuel Simon, director with the gas, power, and renewables team at IHS Markit, focuses on cost, technology, and power policies for Latin America.
David Crisostomo, director with the gas, power, and renewables team at IHS Markit, is an expert in Mexican gas and power markets.
Timothy Stephure, a senior director for the Latin America gas, power, and renewables team at IHS Markit, specializes in analyzing technology cost trends, power and utility sector competitive positioning, investment due diligence, and policy analysis across Latin America.
Posted on 11 February 2021
Follow IHS Markit Energy
- Egypt's E&P Investment Safeguards
- Acceleration in Southeast Asia renewables development
- Podcast: Refining and Petrochemicals Integration
- 2021 high impact wells mid-year update
- China’s national carbon market officially opened trading
- Will lingering controversies overshadow Nigeria’s Petroleum Industry Bill progress?
- The Wolin Project with Central European Petroleum
- Baltic Shale LLC - Farm-in opportunity to develop acreage in northern Poland