Factor performance cycle inversion
Research Signals - August 2019
Investors' concerns over trade wars and a downshift in the global economy were reinforced by the August J.P.Morgan Global Manufacturing PMI residing below the neutral 50.0 mark for the fourth consecutive month. A global flight to safety led to an inversion of the US yield curve for the first time since 2007, contributing to another bout of volatile equity markets which coincided with a strong penchant for low risk stocks in many regional markets. However, the momentum trade was able to break out of its recent cyclical pattern, with a second consecutive month of positive performance in August (Table 1).
- US: After several months of flip flopping, Price Momentum tacked on a second month of outperformance, as captured by Industry-adjusted 12-month Relative Price Strength
- Developed Europe: The risk off trade was prominent, elevating the performance of 24-Month Value at Risk and 60-Month Beta
- Developed Pacific: In markets outside Japan, investors took cues from the securities lending markets, with positive performance associated with factors such as Implied Loan Rate
- Emerging markets: Factor performance at the two extremes was dominated by Price Momentum (e.g., Rational Decay Alpha) at the top and Deep Value (e.g., Book-to-Market) at the bottom
IHS Markit provides industry-leading data, software and technology platforms and managed services to tackle some of the most difficult challenges in financial markets. We help our customers better understand complicated markets, reduce risk, operate more efficiently and comply with financial regulation.
Follow Financial Services
- US economy starts 2020 on solid footing as flash PMI hits ten-month high
- UK Flash PMI signals economic rebound as uncertainty lifts
- IHS Markit European GDP Nowcasts: Eurozone growth remains muted despite return to growth of Germany in first quarter
- US dividends to hit record high in 2020
- iBoxx Liquid Leveraged Loan TRS Reaches Record Volume
- LNG JKM Option Pricing - IHS Markit's Totem - Another First
- Seven key dividend forecasts for 2020
- Is BB the place to be?
124 new issue bonds will hit the market next week; including over $473M in new bonds to be issued by the Dormitory… https://t.co/KQzC4O1Yh8