Factor food for thought
Research Signals - February 2021
2021 started out as a relatively uneventful month of positive momentum in high risk shares, carried over from the end of last year, on optimistic vaccination and economic outlook. However, pressure built up in the final week of January in a battle between day traders and hedge funds, resulting in frenzied trading in GameStop and other heavily shorted stocks, with major indexes erasing their initial gains for the month. Yet, retail investors' uprise could not derail the bull market and stocks continued to make new highs in the early days of February. As the bull market rages on, we take a few snapshots of factor exposures to highlight current market attributes.
- In mid-January 2021, a handful of the most shorted stocks saw a parabolic increase in performance relative to the market, though valuations of a broader set of highly shorted stocks remained comparatively in check
- As the market rebounded from the pandemic lows, investors bid up the valuations of high risk names in addition to those with negative earnings
- A notable number of stocks are trading at elevated price-to-earnings and price-to-sales multiples, alongside those trading at 52-week highs
IHS Markit provides industry-leading data, software and technology platforms and managed services to tackle some of the most difficult challenges in financial markets. We help our customers better understand complicated markets, reduce risk, operate more efficiently and comply with financial regulation.
Follow Financial Services
- Chartis RiskTech BuySide 50: Financial Risk Analytics Wins Investment/Market Risk Category
- South Korea Dividends - More to be Discovered
- Top 3 Insights from the 2022 CeFPro Vendor & Third Party Risk Europe Conference
- The obstacles to better analytics adoption in private equity
- A New Report -- Retail Investors: A Changing Landscape
- APIs beat AI in the industry’s post-trade priority list
- Golden Record Corporate Actions Podcast Series - Pilot Episode: Is Data the Problem?
- Top 5 Insights from the 2022 CeFPro Vendor & Third Party Risk USA Conference
Join our webinar on Thursday, 19 May as we explore the impact of sustained inflation on dividend payments in 2022… https://t.co/jUwPoVmJFw
Join our webinar next week in partnership with Supply Management Insider as the industry experts unveil the necessa… https://t.co/iibJIqHM00