Intelligence Briefing Extract: US DoD FY18 Budget – Deep Dive Analysis
The President submitted his FY18 President's Budget Request (PBR) to the Congress on 23rd May 2017 for the annual legislative review. In this extract Jane's analysts explore further the requested funding profiles and programmatics of the programs driving the budget. The FY18 DoD budget was submitted USD52 billion above the prescribed Budget Control Act caps with a base budget of USD574.5 billion and an OCO budget of USD64.6 billion, for a total of USD639.1 billion in discretionary FY18 funding. This amounts to about a 9% increase over the FY17 enacted funding level. This year's Congressional review should prove to be very interesting as it is the first DoD budget from this administration and aims to reduce non-defense spending to aid an increase in defense spending.
- Flying High? Charles Forrester provides an overview of the Gulf aviation industry, spending and procurement.
- China dominated Asia-Pacific defence exports over last decade as India continued to rely on foreign defence equipment
- European Defence Spending Inches Closer to USD300 Billion
- Jane’s analyses the Shahed 129 and Hamaseh
- Saudi air defences ill-prepared for low-level attacks
- Advent International Corporation's proposed acquisition of Cobham
- UK artillery has nearly 15% personnel shortfall
- US tests ground-launched missile concept previously banned under INF