Cybersecurity factors powered by BitSight
Research Signals - February 2018
Chief financial officers rate hacking the top external risk in a recent survey, with good reason. High profile cybersecurity attacks dominated the news cycle in 2017, including the Equifax data breach, the NotPetya worm, and the breach of the Securities and Exchange Commission’s Edgar system, housing financial reports and other public company statements. Given the pervasiveness of cyber risks, we have partnered with BitSight Technologies to introduce factors derived from their Security Ratings that quantify cybersecurity risks to enhance stock and portfolio risk management.
- BitSight captures company-specific cybersecurity risk through a proprietary process, providing quantifiable Security Ratings
- We find BitSight Security Ratings are predictive of data breach events, and such events on average have a negative impact on excess stock price returns of 44 bps over the first 10 days from when a breach is identified
- In addition to the normalized systematic BitSight Rating and their underlying related vectors that provide transparency, we construct 16 derived factors measuring changes in ratings and industry-relative positioning, among others
Download full article
IHS Markit provides industry-leading data, software and technology platforms and managed services to tackle some of the most difficult challenges in financial markets. We help our customers better understand complicated markets, reduce risk, operate more efficiently and comply with financial regulation.
Follow Financial Services
- July 2022 Model Performance Report
- Securities Finance July Snapshot 2022
- iBoxx SGD Monthly Update: August 2022
- iBoxx USD Asia ex-Japan Monthly Update: August 2022
- Stocks rally as bears take a summer recess
- iBoxx ALBI Monthly Update: August 2022
- Dividend Forecasting Bi-weekly Brief APAC (02 Aug 22)
- Are ransomware events considered in your Operational Resilience Plans for third party service providers?
RELATED INDUSTRIES & TOPICS
Join our webinar on Thursday, 19 May as we explore the impact of sustained inflation on dividend payments in 2022… https://t.co/jUwPoVmJFw
Join our webinar next week in partnership with Supply Management Insider as the industry experts unveil the necessa… https://t.co/iibJIqHM00