COVID-19 pandemic: Motor Equipment Manufacturers Association in US seeks government aid
The trade group for US auto parts makers has asked the government for emergency grants and tariff relief to help combat the adverse economic impact due to the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic, Reuters reported on 20 March.
The Motor Equipment Manufacturers Association (MEMA) has requested the US congress for a manufacturing emergency assistance grant to "keep the doors open, preserve jobs, and prevent bankruptcies in the vital manufacturing sector." The association also called for subsidies to relocate operations to the country. Tariff relief on Chinese products and imported steel is the top priority for MEMA.
Significance: The COVID-19 outbreak has badly hurt the manufacturing industries. While China is showing signs of recovery, Europe and United States are recording a dramatic increase in the number of cases daily. The auto industry in Europe has been suspending operations while the supply chain is also taking a beating with demand dropping sharply. Some companies have temporarily laid off employees.
General Motors and Ford have suspended their operations in North America until March 30. Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama (HMMA) announced that it was suspending production after a worker tested positive for COVID-19. Goodyear Tire & Rubber announced plans to suspend its manufacturing operations in the Americas through 3 April or until further notice in response to the sudden decline in market demand due to the outbreak.
Read more articles like this one. Subscribe to AutoTechInsight
The above article is from AutoTechInsight by IHS Markit. AutoTechInsight provides a wealth of original thought leadership, data, and analysis on a broad spectrum of automotive industry topics and sectors. Content includes news and analysis, topical reports, supplier profiles, and an automaker-supplier relations database across 12 domains. Visit AutoTechInsight to view all our offerings.
- Commitments to carbon-neutral economies accelerate the reshaping of the automotive industry
- An Automotive Minute - Tech Giants and the Auto Industry
- Confluence of Supply Chain Challenges Across the Global Auto Industry
- Software - an automotive disruptor
- Plant closures in Brazil likely to cause only short-term impact on South American production
- Key suppliers monitor inventories of propylene derivatives as raw material production resumes
- EV loyalty climbs to 55%
- An Automotive Minute - A Shift to Mid-Sized Vehicles with Stephanie Brinley