Medium and heavy commercial-vehicle new registrations in the US posted massive y/y gains at the close of the Q2 202… https://t.co/wXQ6xncoRg
COVID-19: Global Auto Demand Tracker
The month of May underlined the volatility expected in global demand as markets wrestled with the fallout from the COVID-19 virus pandemic and the resultant regional lockdown measures. The Seasonally Adjusted Annualised Rate (SAAR) has fallen to just 49 million units in April 2020, from 91 million units in December 2019. Click here to access the Global Auto Demand Tracker for free.
- The US market has contracted to levels not seen since the 2007-2009 recession. Demand fell over 43% year on year (y/y) in April and has dropped 23.7% for the year to date as lockdown measures in many states brought vehicle sales to a standstill.
- Europe has been even harder hit, with a 53% month-on-month (m/m) decline compared to March, which was itself already hit hard by lockdown measures.
- Austria is the only country in West Europe showing early signs of recovery in April.
- While Scandinavian countries appear to have been least affected, the United Kingdom is the hardest hit in terms of m/m decline.
- Of the largest five auto markets, Germany has performed the 'least worst'.
- Although the pace of decline does not seem to be letting up yet, there are some indications of a tenuous recovery. China has enjoyed a resurgence in demand, recording an increase of over 76% compared to March.
The Global Auto Demand Tracker is updated daily with sales and/or registrations by country by make for the most recent calendar month. Where an actual date is not yet publicly available, the IHS Markit Sales Operations prediction for the month is provided.
The Global Auto Demand Tracker allows automakers and their national sales arms to see which markets are sliding into crisis, which are emerging, and at the pace of the recovery. It also shows which brands are being hit the hardest in terms of volume and market share.
To support our clients, IHS Markit is making the Global Auto Demand Tracker available to all clients with access to Connect, our client portal, for the months of May and June. If you are not a subscriber to Connect, fill out the registration form here and request a free trial to Connect.
View details by country and brand ACCESS THE TRACKER ON CONNECT
Don't have access to Connect? REQUEST A FREE TRIAL.
- Impressive topline US market performance in second quarter masks slowing commercial momentum
- Near- and long-term challenges in the shift to electrification
- Battery cost trends in the European Union and mainland China
- Automotive electrification and decarbonization: Shifting toward net-zero
- Fuel for Thought: Automotive Electrification and Decarbonization - Shifting gears towards Net-Zero
- Tesla Encounters Formidable Competition
- EV Charging Infrastructure Report and Forecast
- Updated Analysis on the EU Green Deal