COVID-19: Global Auto Demand Tracker
The month of May underlined the volatility expected in global demand as markets wrestled with the fallout from the COVID-19 virus pandemic and the resultant regional lockdown measures. The Seasonally Adjusted Annualised Rate (SAAR) has fallen to just 49 million units in April 2020, from 91 million units in December 2019. Click here to access the Global Auto Demand Tracker for free.
- The US market has contracted to levels not seen since the 2007-2009 recession. Demand fell over 43% year on year (y/y) in April and has dropped 23.7% for the year to date as lockdown measures in many states brought vehicle sales to a standstill.
- Europe has been even harder hit, with a 53% month-on-month (m/m) decline compared to March, which was itself already hit hard by lockdown measures.
- Austria is the only country in West Europe showing early signs of recovery in April.
- While Scandinavian countries appear to have been least affected, the United Kingdom is the hardest hit in terms of m/m decline.
- Of the largest five auto markets, Germany has performed the 'least worst'.
- Although the pace of decline does not seem to be letting up yet, there are some indications of a tenuous recovery. China has enjoyed a resurgence in demand, recording an increase of over 76% compared to March.
The Global Auto Demand Tracker is updated daily with sales and/or registrations by country by make for the most recent calendar month. Where an actual date is not yet publicly available, the IHS Markit Sales Operations prediction for the month is provided.
The Global Auto Demand Tracker allows automakers and their national sales arms to see which markets are sliding into crisis, which are emerging, and at the pace of the recovery. It also shows which brands are being hit the hardest in terms of volume and market share.
To support our clients, IHS Markit is making the Global Auto Demand Tracker available to all clients with access to Connect, our client portal, for the months of May and June. If you are not a subscriber to Connect, fill out the registration form here and request a free trial to Connect.
View details by country and brand ACCESS THE TRACKER ON CONNECT
Don't have access to Connect? REQUEST A FREE TRIAL.
- Fuel for Thought: Incorporating Consumer Expectations in the post-COVID-19 Retail Experience
- Low APR Incentives Effectively Offset COVID’s Impact
- New vehicle registrations show record share levels for SUVs
- Brexit to put UK OEMs at risk of failing local content rates?
- Automotive COVID-19 Recovery Series: Supplier Strategy Reset
- Fuel for Thought – The Evolving Global EV Landscape
- Does the acquisition of Arm give NVIDIA the keys to autonomous driving?
- Understanding the 2020 Vehicle Buyer Journey
IHS Markit's Tom de Vleesschauwer to lead panel discussion on Car Ownership vs Mobility at the Reuters Events Autom… https://t.co/gxJFZElvF5
By 2030 nearly 25% of light passenger vehicles produced will be plug-in capable. What is needed for cheap, fast & u… https://t.co/AbGnKJFRzC