Corporate Bond Pricing Recap for July 2019
US Treasury Movement
Over the month of July, the US Treasury curve has flattened with the short end widening and long end tightening. The table below summarizes weekly and monthly performance across the curve, followed by a snap of the 30 year's performance in more detail, sourced from our Price Viewer portal.
In July, the 30 year finished mostly unchanged at 2.53%, 2 bps
tighter than 2.55% where it started the month. At its highest, the
30 year yield touched 2.65% and dropped to 2.47% at its
Investment Grade Market Review
The table below summarizes weekly and monthly sector performance across the iShares iBoxx $ Investment Grade Corporate Bond ETF.
Top Movers (up/down) within the Investment Grade Market
July's best performing iShares iBoxx $ Investment Grade Corporate Bond:
Mylan 5.2% 04/15/48 (US628530BJ54)
- This bond increased in price value by $10.01, from $92.57 to $102.58 (the bond continues to move upward in the month of August)
- This bond's credit spread tightened by 68 basis points, from +317 to +249
- In late July, Pfizer announced an agreement to combine Mylan and Upjohn (a division of Pfizer) causing tightening across all Mylan bonds
July's worst performing iShares iBoxx $ Investment Grade Corporate Bond:
EQT Corporation 3.9% 10/01/27 (US26884LAF67)
- This bond decreased in price value by $5.08, from $94.35 to $89.27 (the bond continues to move downward in the month of August)
- This bond's credit spread widened by 82 basis points, from +270 to +352
- Other energy companies including EQM Midstream Partners, Apache, and Hess also saw their bonds decline in value over the month of July
IHS Markit provides industry-leading data, software and technology platforms and managed services to tackle some of the most difficult challenges in financial markets. We help our customers better understand complicated markets, reduce risk, operate more efficiently and comply with financial regulation.
Follow Financial Services
- US economy starts 2020 on solid footing as flash PMI hits ten-month high
- UK Flash PMI signals economic rebound as uncertainty lifts
- IHS Markit European GDP Nowcasts: Eurozone growth remains muted despite return to growth of Germany in first quarter
- US dividends to hit record high in 2020
- iBoxx Liquid Leveraged Loan TRS Reaches Record Volume
- LNG JKM Option Pricing - IHS Markit's Totem - Another First
- Seven key dividend forecasts for 2020
- Is BB the place to be?
124 new issue bonds will hit the market next week; including over $473M in new bonds to be issued by the Dormitory… https://t.co/KQzC4O1Yh8