CDS factor performance update
Research Signals - July 2020
In April 2012, we introduced a comprehensive suite of trading and risk management signals designed specifically around the credit default swap (CDS) market. Our CDS factor suite opens up unique and insightful opportunities for systematic approaches to CDS evaluation. The indicators range from metrics built using standard financial ratios to fair value estimates, equity analyst estimates and cross-asset insights. In this report, we review factor performance since the inception of this suite, with additional attention to extreme movement during the recent COVID-19-induced market volatility.
- US: Since the CDS factor suite went live, Price Momentum measures were the most consistent outperformers, particularly those capturing short-term changes in probability of default, led by 5-day Change in Probability of Default (Tenor=5Y) among investment grade CDS and 4-week Industry Relative Return for high yield CDS
- Europe: Beyond strong performance from short-term Price Momentum factors, Value Divergence, a proprietary cross-asset measure capturing the level of divergence between the equity and CDS markets, posted positive spreads in 66% of months
- Asia Pacific: While Probability of Default (Tenor=5Y) was the top long-term performer, recent Street Revision Magnitude performance suggests that CDS traders temporarily turned to analyst outlook in droves during the extreme market volatility in March 2020, behavior more consistent with the first half of the analysis period
- March 2020 exposures to 1-month Change in Probability of Default (Tenor=5Y) captured notable increasing probability of default in the Energy sector in North America for both investment grade and high yield CDS, while Basic Materials also weakened in Europe and Industrials improved in Asia Pacific
IHS Markit provides industry-leading data, software and technology platforms and managed services to tackle some of the most difficult challenges in financial markets. We help our customers better understand complicated markets, reduce risk, operate more efficiently and comply with financial regulation.
Follow Financial Services
- July 2022 Model Performance Report
- Securities Finance July Snapshot 2022
- iBoxx SGD Monthly Update: August 2022
- iBoxx USD Asia ex-Japan Monthly Update: August 2022
- Stocks rally as bears take a summer recess
- iBoxx ALBI Monthly Update: August 2022
- Dividend Forecasting Bi-weekly Brief APAC (02 Aug 22)
- Are ransomware events considered in your Operational Resilience Plans for third party service providers?
Join our webinar on Thursday, 19 May as we explore the impact of sustained inflation on dividend payments in 2022… https://t.co/jUwPoVmJFw
Join our webinar next week in partnership with Supply Management Insider as the industry experts unveil the necessa… https://t.co/iibJIqHM00