Automotive COVID-19 Recovery Series: The OEM Landscape - Focus on US
The COVID-19 pandemic impact on the auto industry is extensive, severe, and wide-ranging:
- Recovery in China is underway as sales continue to improve and dealer inventory declines. Government incentives including plate quota, NEV subsidy, and scrappage incentives help the industry regain momentum
- Europe's recovery has varied—Spain bottomed out in May, though France had an early rebound in June, and Germany followed in July. With economies re-opened and manufacturing restarting, the focus has shifted to financial conditions and consumer sentiment, with various automotive-focused stimulus packages starting in July.
- US recovery (the subject of this component of the COVID-19 Recovery Series) has been led by the Pickup segment—it has gained 5.5 percentage points of market share, a highly profitable segment dominated by domestic manufacturers.
The first installment of IHS Markit's new Automotive COVID-19 Recovery Series is now available. In our whitepaper, The OEM Landscape - Focus on US, we look at constrained and increasingly competitive market conditions, and lay out where are the greatest opportunities to maximize success are in the short-term.
This whitepaper is one of three whitepapers produced for our COVID-19 Recovery Series.
- Near- and long-term challenges in the shift to electrification
- Automotive electrification and decarbonization: Shifting toward net-zero
- Fuel for Thought: Automotive Electrification and Decarbonization - Shifting gears towards Net-Zero
- Tesla Encounters Formidable Competition
- EV Charging Infrastructure Report and Forecast
- Updated Analysis on the EU Green Deal
- Powertrain market analysis for revised EU fleet emissions scenarios
- Impact of supplier issues on the North American truck production
Within the transportation sector, road transportation accounts for about 70% of CO2 emissions. Vehicle electrificat… https://t.co/Gi18TmP5rU
July’s Newsletter: Road transport contributes 70-80% of CO2 emissions. Major markets will face challenges to meet t… https://t.co/YiN5tGxVi4