Australia reveals on-demand driverless car
Royal Automotive Club (RAC), in partnership with French autonomous vehicle start-up Navya, unveiled an on-demand autonomous car named "Intellicar" in Perth (Australia), reports the Sydney Morning Herald. Trials will be run in three phases before taking the car on public roads in the first half of 2019. Terry Agnew, RAC group chief executive said, "Human error is the cause of the vast majority of road deaths and serious injuries, so if we can help WA and Australia safely transition to driverless vehicles sooner, hundreds of Australian lives could be saved." The Intellicar deploys10 LIDARs, six cameras, four radars and two global navigation systems to support its autonomous functions.
Significance: RAC launched trials of its Intellibus in August 2016 and more than 14,000 people have ridden the bus. In 2016, the South Australian Government announced investment of AUD10 million (USD7.2 million) as Future Mobility Lab Fund to provide funding for projects in development for connected and autonomous vehicles over the next three years. In 2015, South Australia became the first jurisdiction in Australia to introduce specific legislation to facilitate on-road trials of automated vehicles and welcomed national guidelines for trials of automated vehicles in 2017. In June 2018, the Navya Arma Flinders Express (FLEX) electric shuttle began trials at Flinders University, joining others running at LaTrobe University and the University of Melbourne, as part of a five-year trial.
Posted 14 Sep 2018 by Surabhi Rajpal
- Average age of US light trucks and cars approaches 12 years
- Fuel for Thought: The COVID Recovery
- Global Auto Demand Tracker - new sales/registration numbers for June 2020
- Automotive Rapid Response Report | 8 July 2020
- Automotive COVID-19 Recovery Series
- Automotive Rapid Response Report - 17 June 2020
- COVID-19's real possible effects on the Auto and Mobility Industry
- With 50% of countries reporting, month of May numbers indicate a solid rebound for global auto demand
An Automotive Minute [S2|E28] With 2.5 months of lost output and revenue, Michael Robinet discusses North America a… https://t.co/gR7QlivyaL
Download the joint IHS Markit – CAR whitepaper: ‘Supplier Strategy Reset’ that we discussed early today at CAR MBS… https://t.co/B9NG48Tnsc