Guatemala’s next president elected on pro-business platform, policy implementation likely to face delays in opposit… https://t.co/qAeFMNsOPP
Argentina: On the ground country risk assessment
In the first of a series of from-the-field country risk briefings, Carla Selman, Senior Research Analyst, shares her take on the country's political and economic trajectory, the overall sentiment following the recent IMF rescue, and the likelihood of civil unrest in the months ahead. In this 30 minutes session we cover a number of key areas:
- Overall how deep is the feeling of pubic disappointment in Argentina: President Macri is facing his first major challenge, with markets questioning his economic model but what are citizens saying?
- Would they still vote for him in next year's election if he runs? If not, who might replace him?
- If Macri continues to struggle will the opposition be able to capitalize? Who are the potential opposition candidates for the 2019 elections?
- What are the implications of the unpopular deal with IMF? Will there be political protests and unrest? If so, will that force policy change, as in Brazil, with transport sector strikes forcing the government to keep subsidies?
- Argentina is currently the worst performing market among global Emerging Markets in 2018. Do people in Argentina see it as likely to return to the markets soon - or going to the opposite extreme, could another default become an active concern?
IHS Markit Speakers:
Senior Economic and Financial Consultant, IHS Markit
Senior Research Analyst, IHS Markit
- Weekly Pricing Pulse: Recession worries undercut commodity prices
- Ethiopia's solar power reforms
- Guatemala's next president
- Capital Markets Weekly: Argentine Primary election vote triggers market shock, new sovereign-default fears
- Argentinian primary election
- Weekly Pricing Pulse: Trade concerns continue to weigh on commodity markets
- Ranking metropolitan business costs
- Capital Markets Weekly: Increased trade conflict sparks further bond-market rally
Argentine securities faced exceptional volatility after its Primary elections indicated a first-round victory for t… https://t.co/omkfBBeHjW
Commodity prices retreat, broadly led by an overdue correction in Iron ore. Prices, as measured by our Materials P… https://t.co/tCvAEAU9oj