Global Copper Users PMI Output Index dips to decade low at start of 2019, presenting a further sign of slowing grow… https://t.co/mnRNlUzomu
Week Ahead APAC Economic Preview: Week of 28 January 2019
- Worldwide PMI surveys to provide early clues on manufacturing activity at start of 2019
- FOMC meeting
- Taiwan Q4 GDP
- Special focus on artificial intelligence
The worldwide release of PMI data next week will provide the first clues of manufacturing performance across the globe at the start of 2019, with a particular focus on China and the US. Global growth is widely expected to weaken this year amid rising political and economic risks, which could stall major central banks' plans to normalise monetary policy.
With key US data releases delayed by the government shutdown, hindering economic analysis, the survey data will come under ever-greater scrutiny, especially in a week in which the FOMC meets to set policy. In Asia, China's industrial profits and Japan's retail sales and consumer confidence data, alongside GDP figures from Taiwan, are published in the coming week.
Our special focus looks at Asia's artificial intelligence revolution.
Download the article for a full diary of key economic releases.
Contact for further APAC commentary: Rajiv Biswas or Bernard Aw
Contact for European and US PMI commentary: Chris Williamson
© 2019, IHS Markit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.
Purchasing Managers' Index™ (PMI™) data are compiled by IHS Markit for more than 40 economies worldwide. The monthly data are derived from surveys of senior executives at private sector companies, and are available only via subscription. The PMI dataset features a headline number, which indicates the overall health of an economy, and sub-indices, which provide insights into other key economic drivers such as GDP, inflation, exports, capacity utilization, employment and inventories. The PMI data are used by financial and corporate professionals to better understand where economies and markets are headed, and to uncover opportunities.
- Weakness in Paris and the South West weighs on French service sector
- Global copper users output index nears ten-year low prompting growth worries
- Week Ahead APAC Economic Preview: Week of 18 February 2019
- Official data for the UK add to signs of economy at risk of contracting
- Week Ahead APAC Economic Preview: Week of 11 February 2019
- Global slowdown gathers pace at start of 2019
- Global economy loses further momentum at start of 2019
- PMI surveys show UK economy stalling at start of 2019
Although the majority of households still expect the next BoE move to be a rise, the share expecting the MPC's next… https://t.co/SZkxEldla5
The UK Household Finance Index continues to signal deteriorating financial health, falling to lowest since Mar '18.… https://t.co/krkVYLNlZs