Week Ahead APAC Economic Preview: Week of 28 January 2019
- Worldwide PMI surveys to provide early clues on manufacturing activity at start of 2019
- FOMC meeting
- Taiwan Q4 GDP
- Special focus on artificial intelligence
The worldwide release of PMI data next week will provide the first clues of manufacturing performance across the globe at the start of 2019, with a particular focus on China and the US. Global growth is widely expected to weaken this year amid rising political and economic risks, which could stall major central banks' plans to normalise monetary policy.
With key US data releases delayed by the government shutdown, hindering economic analysis, the survey data will come under ever-greater scrutiny, especially in a week in which the FOMC meets to set policy. In Asia, China's industrial profits and Japan's retail sales and consumer confidence data, alongside GDP figures from Taiwan, are published in the coming week.
Our special focus looks at Asia's artificial intelligence revolution.
Download the article for a full diary of key economic releases.
Contact for further APAC commentary: Rajiv Biswas or Bernard Aw
Contact for European and US PMI commentary: Chris Williamson
© 2019, IHS Markit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.
Purchasing Managers' Index™ (PMI™) data are compiled by IHS Markit for more than 40 economies worldwide. The monthly data are derived from surveys of senior executives at private sector companies, and are available only via subscription. The PMI dataset features a headline number, which indicates the overall health of an economy, and sub-indices, which provide insights into other key economic drivers such as GDP, inflation, exports, capacity utilization, employment and inventories. The PMI data are used by financial and corporate professionals to better understand where economies and markets are headed, and to uncover opportunities.
- Flash Japan PMI shows economy lifted by stronger services growth in August
- Malaise in Germany helps drive Czech manufacturing downturn
- Zambian economy continues to struggle at start of third quarter
- Week Ahead Economic Preview: Week of 19 August 2019
- IHS Markit European GDP Nowcasts Update 15th August 2019: Nowcasts suggest economic weakness has stretched into third quarter
- UK economy slides into decline in second quarter
- PMI survey comments show mounting global pessimism
- Global economy lifted by services but hit by steepening decline in manufacturing