IHS Markit is excited to attend MOVE this year. As the leading thought leader in automotive mobility, we are keen t… https://t.co/imEluizURo
An Automotive Minute - Hybrids and Electrification with Stephanie Brinley
An Automotive Minute - US Hybrids and Electrification with Stephanie Brinley
In 2020, we saw increased emphasis on both hybrid electric and battery electric vehicles in the United States, leading to hybrid vehicle market share increasing from 3.0% in 2019 to 3.7%. Volume grew and share increased on expanded opportunities in popular segments. Though hybrids have been around for more than 25 years, we are seeing an increase in options in CUV segments. Ford Escape, Honda CR-V, Toyota Venza, and Mercedes-Benz GLS were among contributors to increased hybrid share.
Perhaps not surprising given that hybrid technology is more expensive, about 21% of hybrid registrations were luxury-brand models last year, up from 15% in 2019. For the total market, luxury registrations in 2020 accounted for about 14% of registrations.
Consumers in 2020 were willing to explore and adopt electrified solutions, provided they are in a vehicle package that is sized and priced correctly for the segment and the lifestyle. This is an encouraging sign as automakers make broader efforts to shift to electrification and carbon neutrality.
Read more articles like this one. Get a free trial to AutoIntelligence Daily
- Major revision for global light vehicle forecast, production impacted well into 2022
- Medium Heavy Commercial Vehicles: The other face of the pandemic in Brazil
- Fuel for Thought: A Rocky Recovery in the Second Year of the Pandemic
- Substantial Internal Cannibalization for Incremental Models
- IAA Mobility 2021: Germany’s new auto show to focus on electric autonomous vehicles and mobility
- Hybrid: Bridge to Electrification – August 2021
- How will 5G impact the driving experience for the consumer?
- Brand Loyalty Among US Auto Consumers Drops to Six-Year Low
Register now for our retail webinar: Improve your audience targeting with best practices. Learn data-driven strateg… https://t.co/uL60Sw4kJO
The IHS Markit light vehicle production forecast has been cut by 6.2% or 5.02M units in 2021, and by 9.3% or 8.45M… https://t.co/JK2K96SGi2