Electrification has quickly emerged as one of the key global megatrends and is a contributor to the disruptive era… https://t.co/5XFujSgVv9
An Automotive Minute - A Shift to Mid-Sized Vehicles with Stephanie Brinley
An Automotive Minute: A Shift to Mid-Sized Vehicles - with Stephanie Brinley
Americans may be shifting to mid-size vehicles, based on IHS Markit US total light-vehicle registration data for January 2021, as compared with January 2020. Mid-size vehicles of all types captured more share of registrations this January than did compact vehicles, a first for recent years. The compact segment share erosion is largely on compact car declines; the compact utility segment remains the largest in the US.
Of course, utilities also dominate mid-size registrations, and are also growing. In January 2021, mid-size utility vehicles were 60% of mid-size vehicle registrations, up from 56% a year earlier, while sedans dropped 5 points to only 20%.
The interest in comparing these two months is that January 2020 was ahead of the COVID pandemic, while in January 2021, US consumers had been living with restrictions and economic impacts for about 10 months. This data suggests consumers may be shifting preferences from compact to mid-size offerings.
- India's role in global automotive electrification
- Making the BEV commitment
- Sedans: Staying Alive - no longer on top, but they're not dead
- If only audience buying was always this easy
- An Automotive Minute with Stephanie Brinley - Electric Trucks
- 2020 - Been there, done that! What’s next for the Indian MHCV market in 2021?
- US monthly new vehicle registrations reach 10-year high in March; EV market share surpasses 3% for first time
- Fuel for Thought: Retail revolution – Real or not?