A rough first quarter for bullish sentiment
While news from the Russia-Ukraine conflict occupied headlines throughout the month, varying degrees of investor sentiment and factor performance were seen across regional equity markets (Table 1). Economic data was also mixed, as the J.P.Morgan Global Manufacturing PMI slipped to an 18-month low with positive notes from Europe and North America offset by subdued growth in Asia. Alongside the elevated geopolitical tensions, concerns over higher inflation, central bank interest rate hikes and monetary tightening, stretched global supply chains and renewed COVID-19 outbreaks ultimately contributed to the worst quarter for stocks since the start of the pandemic.
- US: 3-M Revision in FY2 EPS Forecasts was a positive indicator in March, particularly among small caps
- Developed Europe: Investors favored growth and quality signals such as Reinvestment Rate and Working Capital Accruals, respectively
- Developed Pacific: An escalation in risk-on sentiment across the region was captured by 60-Month Beta
- Emerging markets: Earnings and Price Momentum, gauged respectively by 3-M Revision in FY2 EPS Forecasts and Rational Decay Alpha, were successful strategies last month
IHS Markit provides industry-leading data, software and technology platforms and managed services to tackle some of the most difficult challenges in financial markets. We help our customers better understand complicated markets, reduce risk, operate more efficiently and comply with financial regulation.
This article was published by S&P Global Market Intelligence and not by S&P Global Ratings, which is a separately managed division of S&P Global.
- Portfolio risk management is evolving – how can your tech stack keep up?
- Australia dividends through the macroeconomy lens
- iBoxx GBP Monthly Commentary
- iBoxx EUR Index Monthly Commentary
- iBoxx ALBI Monthly Update: May 2022
- iBoxx SGD Monthly Update: May 2022
- iBoxx USD Asia ex-Japan Monthly Update: May 2022
- April 2022 Model Performance Report
Join our webinar on Thursday, 19 May as we explore the impact of sustained inflation on dividend payments in 2022… https://t.co/jUwPoVmJFw
Join our webinar next week in partnership with Supply Management Insider as the industry experts unveil the necessa… https://t.co/iibJIqHM00