CERAWeek Reflections on Power 2018
With CERAWeek now complete, three themes stand out as we reflect on discussions from power day.
Optimism on decarbonization. Two power utility CEOs from California talked confidently about reaching California’s 50% renewables target years before the 2030 deadline. European executives felt that the path for renewables expansion and integration to reach 2030 carbon goals is well understood. Multisector decarbonization, beyond power, is necessary to reach post-2030 goals.
New frontiers—looking beyond renewables. “Greening the gas” is a new frontier. In addition, hydrogen for fleet vehicles and power generation (through gas pipelines) can move forward without substantial infrastructure build-out. In some countries, 100% renewables by 2050 could be accomplished with a combination of renewables, green gas, and hydrogen (for multiple uses, including longer-term storage). “Autonomous” gas-fired power plant, responding to intermittent generation from renewables, first entered CERAWeek power vocabulary.
Intensifying customer focus. End users are increasingly demanding not just reliable power but also specific sources of power, thus becoming drivers of where the industry is going. With more customer-sited resources—rooftop solar, electric vehicles, battery storage, and control systems—customers are also better positioned to participate in the energy production and delivery systems, more so than ever before.
Jone-Lin Wang is Vice President & Head of Research and Consulting of power, gas, coal and renewables at IHS Markit.
- The impacts of the rapid pace of technology & innovation on the energy industry
- Appalachian production growth since 2014 has been enabled by expansions on existing systems and by new pipes
- How Long Will Strong Short-Term Oil Demand Growth be Sustained?
- Chinese import restrictions widen
- Execution excellence key to Concho realizing full value from RSP Permian acquisition
- Myanmar power and renewables profile
- Data transformation explained – What is it and how is it done?
- What’s Trending in North American Plays & Basins?