5G driverless microbus begins trial operations in China
A domestic-made 5G driverless microbus began its trial operation in Hangzhou (China), reports China Daily. The 5G driverless microbus uses Level 4 technology, which involves no driver intervention. It has 30 smart sensors which include eight cameras, four LiDARs, and two milimetre-wave (MMW) radars. The microbus can identify obstacles like pedestrians and motor vehicles from a distance of 200 metres, and can identify all directions using the road cloud collaborative intelligent system.
Significance: The Chinese government is strongly supporting autonomous and connected vehicle technology as it begins to fast-track the sector in the country. The overall aim is for China to showcase to the world that it is a leading player in new technology, with a focus on electric and autonomous vehicles. Baidu is testing its Level 4 autonomous electric bus, the Apolong, and FAW's Hongqi brand displayed an autonomous minibus featuring Level 4 autopilot and 5G communication technology in Hangzhou. In June, bus manufacturer Yutong deployed four electric autonomous buses in Zhengzhou as part of the trial project on "Intelligent Island". In October 2019, BroadXT announced a showcase of its 5G-based autonomous minibus at the World Internet Conference that was held on 20-22 October in Chinese city of Wuzhen.
Read more articles like this one. Get a free trial to AutoIntelligence Daily
- Automotive Insights – Canadian EV Information and Analysis Q1 2022
- May 2022 production forecast sees variations from region to region
- The Shift to Utility: Part I – May 2022
- A Tale of Three Industries: A review of registration and migration patterns in the US new vehicle industry
- Fuel For Thought - Pace of Change: Energy and mobility, climate and innovation
- Global Auto Production Forecast Downgraded Further for 2022
- How autonomous trucks will transform landscape of logistics industry
- China sets green hydrogen production target in national development plan
The global auto industry continues to navigate a challenging supply chain environment as well as lingering COVID-19… https://t.co/Z5fAb0yo7i
What is Polk Automotive Solutions doing to help transform automotive retailing? Find out on Monday, May 23rd at th… https://t.co/sk9pvjeYZM