Municipal Bond Market Update
The rally in rates drove municipal prices much higher in June, with only a subtle widening of spreads that coincided with the sharp rallies in treasuries. June was one of the most active months of municipal bond issuance since 2009, as $45.2 billion of new supply was priced and easily absorbed by the market.
The combination of higher yields relative to similarly rated global sovereign bonds, very strong and consistent mutual fund inflows during most of 2016 and increased foreign demand for higher rated GO and revenue bonds (given the limited supply of higher yielding taxable paper) have driven municipal bond yields notably tighter this year.
- The flatness of the US treasury yield curve has taken centre stage in the global bond markets over the past year, but the AAA municipal bond curve has been flattening at a much faster rate recently
- On June 29th, the Puerto Rico Oversight, Management and Economic Stability Act, or PROMESA was passed by the Senate and signed into law by President Obama
- Markit Parsing data indicates that, on average, three dealers made a market on Puerto Rico's 8.0% coupon general obligation bond maturing in 7/2035 every trading day this year. There were multiple instances when the bond price rallied shortly after the two-way market dealer depth increased to more than five dealers
- On July 18th, ISDA announced that the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico's recent failure to make the scheduled payment on their general obligation bond is being declared an event of default
Chris Fenske | Director, Head of Fixed Income Pricing Research
Tel: +1 212 205 7142
IHS Markit provides industry-leading data, software and technology platforms and managed services to tackle some of the most difficult challenges in financial markets. We help our customers better understand complicated markets, reduce risk, operate more efficiently and comply with financial regulation.
Follow Financial Services
- July 2022 Model Performance Report
- Securities Finance July Snapshot 2022
- iBoxx SGD Monthly Update: August 2022
- iBoxx USD Asia ex-Japan Monthly Update: August 2022
- Stocks rally as bears take a summer recess
- iBoxx ALBI Monthly Update: August 2022
- Dividend Forecasting Bi-weekly Brief APAC (02 Aug 22)
- Are ransomware events considered in your Operational Resilience Plans for third party service providers?
Join our webinar on Thursday, 19 May as we explore the impact of sustained inflation on dividend payments in 2022… https://t.co/jUwPoVmJFw
Join our webinar next week in partnership with Supply Management Insider as the industry experts unveil the necessa… https://t.co/iibJIqHM00