Recent discoveries in the Perth Basin, including the possible 1 Tcf+ Lockyer Deep find, are reinvigorating explorat… https://t.co/uK5nIfppeZ
10 fun facts from the energy industry
As we wrap up 2017, we've compiled a list of our most retweeted fun facts from Twitter. From facts about the energy industry and career progression to offshore opportunities and estimations of production dates, these are some of the facts you loved the most.
- Wind turbine technician is the country's fastest growing job, increasing by 108 percent over the next decade.
- In 1930, Columbus Marion Joiner, nicknamed Dad Joiner, obtained an oil and gas lease near Tyler, TX and struck an oil pool with 5 billion barrels.
- The US wind industry employs America's veterans at a rate 50 percent above the national average.
- Without hydraulic fracturing, as much as 80 percent of oil and natural gas from tight rock formations would be inaccessible.
- The benchmark price for a blend of US crude oils known as West Texas Intermediate (WTI) is set as Cushing, Oklahoma.
- Suncor is the first Canadian oil sands operator to test an autonomous haul system, unmanned operation of ultra-class mining trucks.
- From 2005 to 2015, crude oil production in Colorado more than quadrupled; in the same period, marketed natural gas product rose 51 percent.
- How much sand is used in a typical frac job? 5 million pounds, approximately equivalent to 100 semi-truck loads.
- A milestone was reached in the Johan Sverdrup on Feb. 3, 2017 with the first offshore installation work completed. Discovered in 2010, the start of production is estimated in 2019.
- Until 2014, hydroelectricity exceeded the electricity produced by all other renewable sources combined.
In addition to our own data and reports, we've compiled these lists from a number of trusted sources within the energy industry. Be sure to show some love to these sources, who published these facts, including American Wind Energy Association, CourthouseDirect.com, American Association of Professional Landmen and EIA.gov.
For more fun facts from across the energy industry, be sure to follow us on Twitter @IHSMarkitEnergy.
Posted 7 December 2017
Follow IHS Markit Energy
- Carbon capture and storage: contrasting regulatory approaches in Australia and the US
- Southeast Asia takes initial steps in hydrogen development
- Will Nigeria’s Petroleum Industry Act re-boost the domestic gas infrastructure and market?
- Cairn Oil & Gas Partner Connect Program: a partnership opportunity to explore and monetize more than 5.5 Bboe resource potential
- PFLNG Tiga – Another sticking plaster or a long-term solution?
- Why are natural gas prices going up and can the oil sector offer a relief valve?
- China's overseas coal moratorium: Implications for energy transition and electricity reliability in Asia’s emerging markets
- Are we entering a decade of offshore decommissioning?