10 fun facts from the energy industry
As we wrap up 2017, we've compiled a list of our most retweeted fun facts from Twitter. From facts about the energy industry and career progression to offshore opportunities and estimations of production dates, these are some of the facts you loved the most.
- Wind turbine technician is the country's fastest growing job, increasing by 108 percent over the next decade.
- In 1930, Columbus Marion Joiner, nicknamed Dad Joiner, obtained an oil and gas lease near Tyler, TX and struck an oil pool with 5 billion barrels.
- The US wind industry employs America's veterans at a rate 50 percent above the national average.
- Without hydraulic fracturing, as much as 80 percent of oil and natural gas from tight rock formations would be inaccessible.
- The benchmark price for a blend of US crude oils known as West Texas Intermediate (WTI) is set as Cushing, Oklahoma.
- Suncor is the first Canadian oil sands operator to test an autonomous haul system, unmanned operation of ultra-class mining trucks.
- From 2005 to 2015, crude oil production in Colorado more than quadrupled; in the same period, marketed natural gas product rose 51 percent.
- How much sand is used in a typical frac job? 5 million pounds, approximately equivalent to 100 semi-truck loads.
- A milestone was reached in the Johan Sverdrup on Feb. 3, 2017 with the first offshore installation work completed. Discovered in 2010, the start of production is estimated in 2019.
- Until 2014, hydroelectricity exceeded the electricity produced by all other renewable sources combined.
In addition to our own data and reports, we've compiled these lists from a number of trusted sources within the energy industry. Be sure to show some love to these sources, who published these facts, including American Wind Energy Association, CourthouseDirect.com, American Association of Professional Landmen and EIA.gov.
For more fun facts from across the energy industry, be sure to follow us on Twitter @IHS4Energy.
Posted 7 December 2017
- North American E&P hedging strategies for 2018
- Latin American NOCs set to increase capital spending in 2018
- Taiwan seeks to scale up offshore renewables while phasing out nuclear
- Mapping out Mexico’s conventional gas potential
- CNPC and ONGC acquire strategic resources and can expect near-term payout from Abu Dhabi concessions
- High-voltage power transmission in China: A long-distance relationship cooling off
- What’s trending in the global upstream mergers and acquisitions market?
- What you need to know: Second quarter 2018 production forecast