The Right Measure Multiclient Study is a landmark collaboration with Oil & Gas producers and financial institutions to develop a trusted methodology and GHG emissions estimates over the lifecycle of crude oil.
For more than a decade, IHS Markit has been estimating greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions associated with hydrocarbon extraction, refining, and ultimately end use. Over this time, we've seen a growing depth and complexity of questions about GHG emissions associated with hydrocarbon production- to-use. Governments have advanced polices that make use of GHG intensity estimates in an attempt to reduce emissions over the crude oil value chain. Investors are also more interested in understanding the competitive implications of energy transition and the relative GHG competitiveness of key assets and hydrocarbon companies.
What this multiclient study will achieve:
- Bring key oil companies together with leading financial institutions via a multiclient study (MCS) format.
- Identify the key sources of where and why estimates of GHG emissions of various crude oils diverge (by crude properties and methodology).
- Develop a shared understanding of industry best practices for the estimation of the GHG emissions from crude oil production to end use.
- Make public key findings and best practices, to improve transparency and encourage greater comparability between estimates.
- Produce GHG emissions estimates for 50+ crude streams globally using a transparent method – with detail on each segment of the lifecycle and uncertainty factors.
- After the conclusion of the MCS, continue to update the emissions estimates over time to ensure they remain current and accurate.