Defence budgets from 105 countries, accounting for 99% of all global defence spending. All countries are updated within 24 hours of budget release and at least twice a year, with key markets updated more frequently.
10-year projections of global defence budgets
10 years of contextual historical data
"Budget in Full" files for each country provide detailed information on defence budget trends, drivers, and analytical assumptions.
The following economic indicators are included for each country's budget:
- GDP growth
- Total defence budget
- Total defence budget as a percentage of GDP
Jane's analysts apply a standardised methodology for assessing and forecasting defence expenditure. Each national defence budget is split into four service components:
- Air Force
- Defence Wide
And five standard functional components:
- Research, development, test, and evaluation (RDT&E)
- Military personnel
- Operations and maintenance (O&M)
As part of IHS Markit, Jane's is uniquely positioned to draw on the expertise of more than 5,000 analysts across 11 industries. Jane's analysts use this extensive network, alongside a range of open sources to deliver accurate, reliable budget and forecast data.
Jane's offers unrivalled coverage of the US defence budget. From unique data analytics mining thousands of data points to breaking news on budget release day, from detailed Excel datasheets to online Intelligence Briefings, Jane's has all angles covered.
Jane's US defence budget coverage contains several elements that are released throughout the annual DoD budgetary cycle, including:
- 7 rapid reaction market reports, released within 48 hours of the budget.
- 7 in-depth market reports, released within one month of the budget.
- Interactive analysis of US DoD procurement budget data (P-40 budget exhibits extracted from an amalgamated P-1 data set within one week of budget release.)
- Interactive analysis of the budget from a strategic perspective, showing funding and production schedules at a contractor and/or location level using P-5 Cost Analysis, P-5a Procurement History & Planning and P-21 Production Schedule exhibits
- Budget outlay database, containing in-depth analysis of the DoD Future Years Defense Program (FYDP), this database displays top down US DoD budget data for over 2,100 Programs, Projects and Activities (PPAs)
- Rolling news and analysis
- Series of online intelligence briefings throughout the budget cycle
- Overarching US Defence Budgets Tableau dashboard permitting real-time detailed analysis of DoD Budget by 10 attributes
Jane's Defence Budgets team provide a series of reports throughout the year, which explore defence spending trends.
Budget in Full reports
Available for each country, these reports provide detailed information on defence budget trends, drivers, and analytical assumptions
Quarterly reports provide in-depth analysis of factors affecting regional defence spending dynamics.
End of year report pulling together annual global trends and regional analysis.
User customisable bar charts to enable visualisation of complex data sets.
Charts, tables, spreadsheets, and documents are easily exported for print and offline manipulation