Volatile global prices for fresh fruit and vegetables places even more pressure on food retailers and procurement t… https://t.co/p3pjlWRLYF
Crop Science Market Insights and Forecasting
Market consolidation, increasing regulation and sustainability are creating significant changes for crop protection and seed companies. Shape your commercial strategy using our proprietary data, in-depth market analysis, long-term forecasts and analyst expertise.
Key facts about the global crop science market
- The global crop protection and non-crop market grew 2.5% in 2020 to $69.9 billion. Herbicides dominate (~44%) the crop sector, followed by fungicides (~27%) and insecticides (~25%). Of this total, biological crop protection products equate to approximately $3.4 billion
- The commercial seed market increased by 4.9% in 2020 to $44.9 bn. Within this, the Genetically Modified (GM) seed market grew by 8.0% to reach $23.5 billion. Stacked traits, incorporating herbicide tolerance and insect resistance genes total approximately 62% of the GM total. In addition, gene-editing systems, specifically CRISPR, have been recognised as breakthrough technologies in agriculture
- Investors are increasingly applying ESG factors as part of their analysis process to identify risks and opportunities. Investment is growing towards sectors such as biologicals and digital agriculture practices which are deemed to have a more favourable environmental footprint
- Increasingly stringent regulation is impacting growth for established products and increasing the cost of innovation. 40% of the top 20 molecules from a global value perspective are under intense legal and/or regulatory scrutiny, most notably glyphosate, the leading active ingredient on a value basis
- Unlike many other sectors of the global economy, crop inputs experienced little impact from the COVID-19 pandemic given the essential nature of food production. Some minor, yet significant, hurdles include reduced availability of domestic and migrant farm labour, issues surrounding delays of shipments in ports, reduced cotton consumption in the textile industry, lower consumption of certain vegetables with the closing of the hospitality sector and reduced demand for biofuels
Crop Science Sectors
Seed and GM Crops
Who we help
It can be difficult to predict the impact of market developments and gain a definitive view of the industry. Our robust global market data and long-term forecasts provide this, allowing you to make informed data-driven decisions, mitigate risk and implement effective strategy changes.
Pressure to innovate, identify licensing opportunities and develop new compounds can be mitigated by tracking competitor R&D activities, analysing patent information, and aligning development to emerging areas with the greatest impact to your business.
Tracking the latest legal and policy developments across multiple sources can be time-consuming. Stay abreast of regulatory changes and react with confidence utilizing our news and market insight, special reports and consultancy services.
At IHS Markit we offer market-leading crop science information solutions via our globally recognized Crop Science Market Reporting and Market Analysis and Data services across 700+ active ingredients and 14 major crop groups. Our specialist team of over 25 crop protection and seed experts offer comprehensive news, data and independent analysis across the global industry, with current news, data and market forecasting solutions to support all operational needs in your organisation.
Agribusiness Blogs & AnalysisView All
New Generics update 2022: Agribusiness report on active ingredients coming off patent up to 2027
Crop Science Experts
News Reporter, Agribusiness
Director of Special Reports & Projects, Agribusiness, Energy & Natural Resources
Senior Analyst, Crop Science, IHS Markit
US Correspondent, IHS Markit
Editor-in-Chief (Crop Science Market Reporting), S&P Global Commodity Insights
Senior Consultant Analyst, IHS Markit
Senior Analyst, Crop Science, IHS Markit
Follow IHS Markit Agribusiness