Maritime and Trade Talk - EP8: The Container Port Performance Index 2021
The launch of the second comparable index of global container port performance.
In this episode, joint members of the World Bank Group and S&P Global Market Intelligence team who had created the index discuss the scope, underlying data, and methodology, as well as its purpose and uses of the second container port performance index.
**This episode is an excerpt from a webinar. Click here to listen to the on-demand webinar.
The year 2021 highlighted in the starkest of terms the pivotal role port performance plays in the timely supply of goods to countries and their populations. The severe impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on global container port operations showed in no uncertain terms the very tangible repercussions of inefficient ports on their hinterlands and populations. In the short-term this can be in the form of shortages of essential goods and higher prices; in the medium to longer term, inefficient ports can result in inflation, slower economic growth, less employment, and reduced financial performance of importers and exporters.
Developed by the World Bank Group and S&P Global Market Intelligence, the Container Port Performance Index (CPPI) is a comparable index of global container port performance. The index is intended to serve as a reference point for key stakeholders in the global economy, including national governments, port authorities, development agencies and private organizations engaged in trade, logistics and supply chain services.
As that reference point, the CPPI is intended to identify gaps and opportunities for improvement in container port operations, and to stimulate a dialogue among key stakeholders and move this essential agenda forward.
Recommended for you
- Maritime and Trade Talk - EP9: The Impact of Russia's Invasion of Ukraine: A Trade Finance Compliance Perspective - August Update
- Maritime and Trade Talk - EP7: Game On
- Maritime and Trade Talk - EP6: The Impact of Russia's Invasion of Ukraine: A Trade Finance Compliance Perspective
- Maritime and Trade Talk - EP5: Stirring the Melting Pot
- Maritime and Trade Talk - EP4: Forging an Alliance
- Maritime and Trade Talk - EP3: Sanctions Advisories for the Maritime Industry
- Maritime and Trade Talk - EP2: Part 2 - The Basics Of AIS
- Maritime and Trade Talk - EP1: Part 1 - The Basics Of AIS