Tariff redux: Section 232
The United States and the EU have agreed to Section 232 revisions that take effect on 1 January 2022. The new agreement is much like the quota-and-tariff “safeguard” regime already in place in Europe. A certain tonnage may be imported from the EU to the United States tariff-free. After the quota fills, additional tons face a 25% tariff. What will this do to steel prices? How about supply? John Mothersole and John Anton discuss the changes this policy shift will have on markets, manufacturers, and metals buyers.
Recommended for you
- The power of politics: The influence of global elections in 2022
- Have metal prices reached a melting point?
- Sub-Saharan Africa: Recovery interrupted
- Ripples and waves - February signals broad-based improvements
- Electrical machinery: The next challenge in supply chain disruption
- Commodity pricing pressure: Top down and bottom up
- Sub-Saharan Africa: Regional vulnerability to rising interest rates
- Geostrategy 2022-Risks on the Horizon