Autology: The battery market - On a cellular level
Following a series of developments in the battery industry in recent weeks, IHS Markit deep dives into the impact and significance they are expected to have.
These include Nissan and Envision AESC’s plan to build the UK’s first gigafactory adjacent to the OEM’s Sunderland plant, where it will also manufacture a new electric vehicle. Our experts discuss the importance this has on the British automotive industry, as well as whether or not there is scope to then export the batteries to the European Union and beyond.
Stellantis was another carmaker that recently hit the headlines after hosting its own EV Day, where it signaled an introduction of solid state batteries from 2026. Our experts question whether this timeline will put it at the forefront of the technology’s use on a mass scale.
And finally, this week’s episode will also explore how the battery market will progress in the long term, including if current-day lithium-ion batteries have reached their maximum potential as alternative cell materials and compositions develop.
We’d love to hear your thoughts on this episode at our firstname.lastname@example.org email, and you can find out much more across the autotechinsight.ihsmarkit.com website.
Don’t forget to hit all the subscribe, follow and like buttons to stay on track with the latest Autology podcasts!
Speakers: Amit Panday, E-Mobility news correspondent at IHS Markit and
Dr. Richard Kim, Battery expert at IHS Markit
Recommended for you
- Fuel For Thought [S3|E11]: Can Electrification Deliver for Commercial Vehicles?
- Chip on their shoulder - The cars suffering from the chip shortage
- Autology: From seats to software - Defining the premium vehicle
- Autology: London calling - Will Low-emission zones be coming to your town too?
- Autology: An Ultra upgrade – How does GM’s new Ultra Cruise stack up?
- Autology: A byte of the Apple (Car) - Is Project Titan set to rule the autos world?
- Fuel For Thought [S3|E10]: Software-Defined Vehicles
- Autology: How much driving range will the A/C drain on my EV?