Autology: The battery market - On a cellular level
Following a series of developments in the battery industry in recent weeks, IHS Markit deep dives into the impact and significance they are expected to have.
These include Nissan and Envision AESC’s plan to build the UK’s first gigafactory adjacent to the OEM’s Sunderland plant, where it will also manufacture a new electric vehicle. Our experts discuss the importance this has on the British automotive industry, as well as whether or not there is scope to then export the batteries to the European Union and beyond.
Stellantis was another carmaker that recently hit the headlines after hosting its own EV Day, where it signaled an introduction of solid state batteries from 2026. Our experts question whether this timeline will put it at the forefront of the technology’s use on a mass scale.
And finally, this week’s episode will also explore how the battery market will progress in the long term, including if current-day lithium-ion batteries have reached their maximum potential as alternative cell materials and compositions develop.
We’d love to hear your thoughts on this episode at our firstname.lastname@example.org email, and you can find out much more across the autotechinsight.ihsmarkit.com website.
Don’t forget to hit all the subscribe, follow and like buttons to stay on track with the latest Autology podcasts!
Speakers: Amit Panday, E-Mobility news correspondent at IHS Markit and
Dr. Richard Kim, Battery expert at IHS Markit
Recommended for you
- Fuel For Thought [S4|E9]: Automotive Marketing Signals - How inventory and loyalty impact investment
- Autology Podcast: Megacasting on the rise - Dreaming big?
- Autology Podcast: Will revenue ambition from Connected Car data surpass the cars themselves?
- Autology Podcast: Are premium in-car audio experiences becoming more mainstream?
- Autology Podcast: Automation drives compute - A chip shortage story
- Autology Podcast: Low voltage battery - A traditional technology with a key future role to play
- Fuel For Thought [S4|E8]: What can OEMs do to ensure a robust and economical supply of batteries
- Fuel For Thought [S4|E7]: What do capital markets tell us about the automotive industry?